How To Slay The Fashion Game This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Ahhh, Fall. With the changing leaves, the seasonal coffee flavors, and of course, Halloween, what’s not to like? While I love a good PSL, my favorite change of the season has to be my wardrobe. If you, too, are looking to change up your style, look no further! I present, Fall 2017’s Fashion Trends: Broke College Student Edition.

Bright Red

Move over, burgundy. This season is all about looking as close to the color of a leaf as possible.

IRL:

Let’s be real, you probably can’t swing Max Mara or Armani. Here are some cheaper, but still stylish alternatives.

This ruffled top from Forever 21 mimics runway style. Plus, it’s $23 cost won’t hurt your credit score.

Doesn’t everyone need a thick, cozy pullover sweater? You can opt for a classic shape, but still have fun with the details, like these roll-up cuffs. Nordstrom, $75.

Plaid is Rad

70s plaid is in right now.

IRL:

Whether it’s a flannel, a plaid skirt, or plaid trousers (if you’re feeling particularly bold), there are plenty of ways to incorporate this trend into your style.

These adorable trousers from Urban Outfitters are chic and sophisticated. You can dress them up with a collared jacket or dress them down with sneakers.

The Year of Sheer

IRL:

We’ve seen this trend before, if you’ve been to afraid to experiment with sheer clothing before, Fall 2017 is your time. Despite its see-through nature (duh), sheer can be as revealing or as modest as you want it to be. Try layering it underneath a jumper or dress for an added flare. A sheer, dark long-sleeve shirt over another top adds an edge to your look.

The Comfier, The Better

IRL:

For some, I saved the best for last. Luckily, what’s trendy right now happens to be one of the most comfortable styles you could own. Athleisure wear is perfect if you want to roll out of bed, head to class, and still feel put-together.

If you never want to leave your bed, I recommend a velvet sweatsuit like this Adidas one. You’ll feel like you’re in your robe, while still looking cute.

Joggers are the way to go for functional, yet cool fashion. You can purchase these ones from PacSun for less than $20.

Sources:

http://www.elle.com/fashion/trend-reports/g29441/fall-2017-fashion-trends/

https://www.glamour.com/story/most-wearable-fall-runway-fashion-trends?mbid=social_pinterest_referral

Erin Hughes

DePaul '21

Erin Mary Hughes studies Peace, Justice, and Conflict Studies at DePaul University. When she’s not writing for Her Campus, you can find her painting, volunteering with DePaul Community Service Association, and educating others about her home state, Wisconsin.