diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Move On with Your Life After an Audition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

September is the time for getting yourself out there and joining clubs, organizations, interviewing for new jobs, and trying out for new things. It’s that productive time of the year when everyone wants to get their foot through the door and be heard. It was time for me to do the same and as I ripped off the flier for a capella auditions, I managed to get out of my comfort zone and did something I would never normally do. 

I did choir all throughout high school and really enjoyed it. However, I craved singing when I got to college and being a part of a more casual and less intense or organized as my choir was. Granted, our choir was a very prestigious one. It was a huge choir, and I didn’t feel as though I was heard.

Image: url

So, I said f*ck it and auditioned. I’m not the type of person who can simply audition. I didn’t have to audition for my choir because everyone was welcome, and I never did any of the musical productions in high school either. I also am not a very confident singer, but I committed to practicing once a day for this 60-second song I had to sing. I chose “Be the One,” by Dua Lipa, the queen.

Just another chance, so that I can show you, that I won’t let you down and run.

Cause I could be the one.

“I could be the one” they were looking for. The singer they needed. Sadly, I wasn’t. There were about 60 to 80 auditionees, so my chances were slim and I knew that. I handled it well with a pint of Jeni’s Brown Butter Almond Brittle and have moved on. Is it that simple? Not for many.

Image: url

I may not have the most auditioning experience out there, but I do know what it’s like to apply yourself and give something your all, just to be rejected or cut. It’s life. I tried out for my high school softball team and didn’t make it sophomore year. I was crushed, but I found something I loved even more than softball out of it and ended up writing my college application essay about it. Thankfully, it got me into college, otherwise, this would be a different type of article.

Nonetheless, these experiences and obstacles are here for us to grow and learn. I learned that I hated not being a part of something I was passionate about. I think most people want to be accepted, have a place to express themselves, and feel like they belong somewhere. I also learned that it’s necessary to put yourself outside of your “comfy cube,” “netflix bubble,” or anything else you like to call it. People who succeed and reach their dreams don’t play it safe. Not to say that you can be comfortable with where you are in the world and what you’re doing, but when you have goals and aspirations, it takes just a lil more effort and being a lil more comfortable with the uncomfortable. There is no reason whatsoever to think badly about the way you tried out or auditioned because I know you gave it your best shot. There are many things in your life that you can and can’t control.

For example, I controlled how much I prepared for this audition, but my nerves did get the best of me, and I’m sure there were many other great and talented singers that just made the cut. Losing your confidence and doubting your abilities because of one audition is the stupidest thing you can do.

Look at auditions as positive experiences to develop and grow. I learned that making myself do these types of things connects me to more people and allows me to become more confident about who I am and who I want to become.

Image: url

I know in the future I will have more things I want to become a part of and that I am able to do it on my own, whether I make it or not. However, it is also important to find your supporters and people who can positively impact your experiences with these reaches and dreams. I believe in you and you should too.

Natalie is currently a junior studying Public Relations and Advertising with a minor in Spanish and Event Planning. She is an avid beauty, interiors, and lifestyle enthusiast. When she's not doing yoga or obsessing over her golden retriever pup, you'll find her writing in the SAC, library, at the Stu, and basically, anywhere she can get good wifi connection at DePaul.