How Lauren Alaina’s Song Relates to a Child of Divorced Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Recently, I heard Lauren Alaina’s new song “I’m doing fine.” It was just what I needed to hear as a child of divorced parents. My parents seperated my senior year of high school and a year in a half later were officially divorced.

Listening to Lauren’s new song and really listening to the lyrics I realized that maybe I am ok now, even with all the pain I’ve gone through because of my parents’ divorce- I am starting to find myself again.

“I’ve gotten to good at hiding it within”

• I have gotten good at hiding how I feel from others, I don’t always want to be down and constantly have people ask me whats wrong. The pain inside me is always going to be there, but I’ll always hide it inside.

“I’m doing fine enough to know that everyone’s a little broken, Fine enough to learn that hearts are best when they’re wide open, I still got fear inside of me, I’m not okay but I’m gonna be alright.”

• This one speaks for itself, Everyone is a little broken and I’ve learned to accept that, and I’m going to be alright.

“I blamed God I blamed myself.”

• This one really hit me, because for the longest time I blamed myself for my parents’ divorce, and at times still find I am blaming myself to this day. I lost my faith in God, I had lost my faith period. It took me so long to find faith and Him again, but I did.

“But I guess you can’t be free without a fight.”

• Lauren Alaina deserves so many awards for speaking out and saying how she feels, because I’m certain so many others feel this way too. And this last lyric I picked, relates to my life motto I have for myself, “I love the person I’ve become, because I fought to become her.” Like I said, I lost myself when my parents divorced and was numb for a long time, but I fought so it would stop affecting me negatively.

If you are a child of divorce and it has affected you like it has affected me- give Lauren’s new song a listen.

Public Relations student at DePaul University in Chicago. Minnesota grown. President of DePaul University Love Your Melon Campus Crew "I'm proud of the person I've become, because I fought to become her." Twitter & Instagram: @whitneywahlers