How Do I Start Practicing Body Positivity?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Now, I do not claim to be an expert on body positivity/self-love or how to practice it. I have been struggling with it my whole life, and I still am. I am nowhere near true self-love or BP, but I want to try. So if you are interested in getting there too, maybe we can help each other out. Cool? Cool. These are some of my own personal tips and goals that I’d like to share with you.

1. Fuel your body.

I am all for “treat yo self,” but, I like to add on to that and say “treat yo self better!” That phrase is a lot more motivating and inspiring for me because it reminds me that treating myself doesn’t have to mean indulging in unhealthy habits. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE chocolate, and cheese, and all that good stuff, but everything in moderation, right? I have found that showing myself love is so much easier when I feel good physically, and for me, that’s cutting back on meat and eating more fruits and vegetables. It is all about finding what foods make you feel good. Everyone is different and everyone has a different relationship with food, so experiment and take it slow.

2. Find an Activity.

I was purposefully careful with the way I phrased that. I didn’t want to simply say “Exercise” or “Move your body” because that’s not possible for everyone (like those with disabilities) nor does it have a positive connotation for everyone. What “activity” means will depend totally on you. For me, it’s exercise, mostly cardio. I love taking long walks and doing cardio on the elliptical at the gym. I really enjoy the way it makes my body feel, but if that’s not for you, THAT IS 100% OKAY. If you want to do yoga, or meditate, do that. If you love squats and weightlifting, more power to you! Just find something that makes your body, or mind, feel good and work that into your routine. I know that for me, I have so much more appreciation for my body when I do cardio because it shows me how truly powerful and capable my body is, no matter the size I wear.

3. Size doesn’t matter, fit does.

Speaking of size… what has always ruined my personal body positivity is shopping for clothes. There have been very few times in my life that I have finished clothing shopping feeling great about my body. For those of us that have a little bit more to our bodies know the struggle of finding your size, and also the shame that goes along with needing to go up a size. But size is just an arbitrary number. It is simply something that clothing manufacturers chose to represent a piece of clothing. It doesn’t mean s%*#. Have you ever noticed that the size you need sometimes changes depending on the brand? That’s because it’s just a number! So find find clothes that actually fit you and don’t worry about that number. Personally, I love Maurices. They have such cute clothing in such a wide range of sizes. I can always find something I love and that loves me back. And when your clothes fit well, it is much easier to appreciate your body AND the way it looks.

4. Spread the love.

Body positivity and self-love are things that almost everyone struggles with. No matter how confident or beautiful you think someone else is, chances are they are struggling with their own demons. That is why practicing body positivity isn’t just about showing love for yourself, but for those around you as well. We all experience those times when we need to be reassured. So, make sure to remind your friends and your family how wonderful they are, especially when they aren’t feeling great about themselves.

5. Acceptance is key.

What I have found to be the most important, and most challenging, part of my own BP journey, is accepting myself for where I am right now. I am nowhere near where I would like to eventually be with my health or my body. I am going to come right out and say that I would like to lose weight, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Working towards a healthier body, I would argue, is just as much a show of self-love as anything I’ve said so far. I want to be and feel healthier, and for me, I know that losing a little weight is healthy for me. But getting there is going to take a little while and I need to learn to love and accept myself for where I am right in this moment.

I want to reiterate that everything I’ve just said are simply my own opinions and goals for myself. I am not saying that these tips will make you reach this ultimate ‘Body Positivity End,’ because I’m not sure that that exists. Love, in any scenario, is a journey without a clear beginning or end. Even if that love is just with yourself.

Please share with me any of your own tips and goals. I’d love to hear from you (as would my Her Campus fam) – on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or even in the comment section of this article. If you decide to share something with me, make sure to use #HCXOyourself so I, and my fellow writers, can see it.

Bailley is a PR & Advertising major from the great state of Minnesota and will remind you every chance she gets. She is a self-proclaimed doughnut enthusiast, an avid reader, and a fan of witty comedy. You can catch Bailley caffeinating the world as a barista or desperately applying for copywriting internships.