Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Deal with Being the Only Single Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Ah Valentine’s Day — it seems as if in the pandemic people are constantly looking forward to the next holiday. I don’t really like or dislike Valentine’s Day, and I haven’t had a significant other in years so I don’t “celebrate.” I don’t really get bitter about it either; however, I have been feeling the winter blues lately, especially with the pandemic.

Actually, all of my friends are in pretty serious relationships. While I do not feel the need to date, I definitely feel like I am the odd one out. Here are some tips that I (try to) live by to remind myself that being single isn’t bad, in fact it can be empowering.

Happy Valentine's Day
Photo by alleksana from Pexels

1. Treat yourself 

I think for so long, especially as a woman, I felt this need to always be looking for my other half. However, I think it is a valid life skill to learn to love being alone. One way to do this is to treat yourself — drink wine after work, cook a nice meal, order dessert, buy yourself flowers, etc. We cannot rely on others for our happiness because at the end of the day, we only have ourselves.

2. Invest in your bedroom 

As single people, we spend a ton of time chilling in our room. If you make your room a sanctuary, it becomes almost a safe space for your soul. I recently bought a constellation projector and it changed the game. I like the fact that my bedroom is a place I can express myself. 

boho bedroom with plants and macrame
Photo by Timothy Buck from Unsplash

3. Your Time Management Skills are Impeccable 

One of the best reasons to be the only single friend is it makes time management so easy. You do not have to rely on anyone else’s schedule. You can make time for friends when it works for you.

Photo by Marissa Grootes from Unsplash
4. Find Freedom in Your Choices

One thing that I see my friends in relationships struggle with is the fact that they have to base their choices on their significant others. I feel that being single means that I can do anything because there’s no one stopping me. I could even move across the country if I wanted to and no one would stand in my way.

woman and a globe
Photo by Sabina Sturzu from Unsplash

5. Remember that your journey is valid.

I spent so much time thinking that something was wrong with me for wanting to remain single in my 20s. I am surrounded by people who love being in relationships, and while that is a valid choice, it isn’t for me. Being single taught me to be confident in who I am, and I constantly remind myself that my decision to build a career before settling down is respectable. 

Love yourself clipboard room decor
Pexels / Natasha Fernandez
Just because you’re single, doesn’t mean you can’t have a nice Valentine’s day. So treat yourself and do something that makes you happy. Most important, don’t forget that being single isn’t something to be ashamed of.

Hi! My name Georgia Coriell and I am sophomore at DePaul. I am studying Communication and Media with a minor in Television Production. In my free time, I enjoy watching Netflix, listening to music, writing, and taking photos.