How to Cheap the System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

We get it: you’re a college kid and you’re strapped for cash, but you don’t want to live on macaroni for dinner seven days a week and don’t want to spend every date night watching Netflix. So here are some discounts and deals that’ll get you food and entertainment while keeping your wallet happy.

Date night: See any movie at Regal for $7.00! If you go to the Office of Student Involvement on the second floor of the Lincoln Park Student Center, movie passes are available at the front desk. They’re valid at the Webster theatre as long as the movie has been in theatres for 10 days. Just bring the movie pass to the ticket booth at the theatre and voilà! Automatic $4 discount. So you can finally see what all the Frozen hype is about.

Night out with the roommates: Groupon always has amazing deals, but this week they’re offering a medium deep-dish pizza and appetizer from Gino’s East in the Loop for just $17. That means six slices and an appetizer, and if you split the cost between you and two roommates, it’s under $6 each! Check the Chicago food section every week to get more discounts on delicious restaurants in the city!

Weekend entertainment: Not only is the Theatre School at DePaul currently putting on a production of Number the Stars for $5 with a DePaul ID, but you can also see plenty of plays in Chicago for significantly cheaper than ticketed price thanks to Hottix.org. Shows are updated weekly and often include Second City shows for around $10!

Museum fix: If you have an Illinois driver’s license or state ID, general admission is completely complimentary in January for the Shedd from January 24th through the 28th, and for the Planetarium from the 27th-29th. If you’re not an Illinois resident, general admission is discounted to $10 every day (even on non-discount days) with your DePaul ID!

And these are just the tip of the iceberg. Your DePaul ID is the ticket to tons of discounts around the city! Check out discounts.depaul.edu for more!

Tori Meschino is a lot of things with a lot of majors. She's a macaroni and cheese lover, a sorority woman, obsessed with Michael J. Fox, a binge-watcher, an editor-in-chief, the HerCDM president, a woman in tech, and a writer. She majors in Interactive and Social Media and Media and Cinema Studies, and minors in General Psychology (and a minor in Never Graduating). So basically she's everywhere. Oh, and she's one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus DePaul!
Ellyse is the Founding President and Editor-in-Chief of the DePaul University branch of Her Campus. She is currently a senior studying Public Relations and Advertising. Ellyse is originally from the Chicago suburbs and loves spending her college career enjoying all that the city has to offer. In addition to Her Campus, Ellyse is also a member of Delta Gamma. She hopes to one day work in either public relations or event planning and to one day own her own business. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends, catching up on blogs, quoting movies like it’s her job, pinning for hours and working out.