Style > Decor

Halloween Hacks: How to Be Festive on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Looking for a costume or cute decorations can be an expensive task, but don’t worry about it! Here’s a shortlist of hacks that you can use to ensure a cheaper (yet still spooky) Halloween.

Do-It-Yourself Decorations

Buying decorations for your Halloween party can get pretty expensive, so try to get creative. There’s a good chance that there are plenty of unused things lying around your house that you can use to put something together. Plus, there are plenty of YouTube videos that you can easily follow along.

Buy Decorations at a Dollar Store

If you aren’t crafty with your hands, you can go to the dollar store and buy some cheap decorations. Buying decorations from a dollar store can help save you money in the long run.

Last Minute Promotions and Sales

When Halloween creeps closer, stores tend to want to get the merchandise off their hands as soon as possible. In order to get the Halloween merchandise off of their shelves before the holiday is over, stores will put the merchandise on sale. So, take advantage of the sales and promotions happening close to The Spooky Day. 

Make Your Own Halloween Treats

If you don’t want to take advantage of the promotions and sales that stores are putting out, then you could make Halloween treats yourself. There are plenty of recipes that you can try, especially on this website called Delish. 

Avoid Buying Chocolate

According to Money Talks News, chocolate can be more expensive than sugar-based candies. Try to limit how much chocolate you buy, and save the chocolate for special people, like your neighbors, or those who have extremely creative costumes.

Plan Ahead

If you don’t want to overspend this Halloween, it’s important to plan ahead. Keep track of what you are spending so that you don’t go overboard.

Chinyere (sha-near-ruh), a graduate student at DePaul University, has been writing for Her Campus DePaul since October 2019. She enjoys anything journalism-related and indulges in pop culture commentary and celebrity news.