This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Recently, I’ve seen celebrities like Taylor Swift and Lauren Conrad sporting the cutest beaded headbands and naturally, I wanted to make one myself! The headbands can range anywhere between $12-$34 each, but after a quick trip to my local craft store, I was able to pick up all the necessary materials for under $15 AND I had enough leftover ribbon and elastic to make another one. Being able to customize the headbands instead of settling for ones at the store is the fun part of this project! That being said, a few minutes and a little bit of ribbon is all it takes to make these one-of-a-kind hairpieces.

First things first, here are the materials and tools you will need:

• Scissors
  • A needle and thread (Preferably the color of the ribbon or trim.)
  • Trim or ribbon of your choice
  • Elastic (It’s your call on this one. There are a plethora of colors to choose from but I went with nude.)

First, measure the ribbon or trim around your head leaving a few inches in the back for the elastic. Next, take your elastic and cut it to the appropriate size. It is important that you include a little more elastic if your ribbon or trim does not have any stretch. Then, thread your needle and sew your elastic and ribbon or trim together starting with one end first and then moving to the other. And violà, it’s that easy! Your headband is ready to wear throughout the spring and summer months. Happy crafting! 

Sophomore at DePaul University. Delta Gamma sister. Pinterest addict. The list goes on and on...
Ellyse is the Founding President and Editor-in-Chief of the DePaul University branch of Her Campus. She is currently a senior studying Public Relations and Advertising. Ellyse is originally from the Chicago suburbs and loves spending her college career enjoying all that the city has to offer. In addition to Her Campus, Ellyse is also a member of Delta Gamma. She hopes to one day work in either public relations or event planning and to one day own her own business. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, spending time with friends, catching up on blogs, quoting movies like it’s her job, pinning for hours and working out.