This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Coming into my first day of college was extremely intimidating. I, along with the rest of my classmates in our Discover Nonviolent Chicago class, entered bashfully into our classroom one early Monday morning where our Instructors stood, gleaming with excitement. Among our three instructors was our staff professional, Joyana Dvorak, our Professor, Ken Butigan and our Chicago Quarter Mentor, Gabby Morse. Right from the start, they eased our transition into college, and calmed our nerves. Gabby, a sophomore here at DePaul opened up to us about her transition when she was a freshman and how difficult it was for her. Her honesty influenced our class to do the same and because of this, we developed a community that lasted long after immersion week and hopefully will last long after our quarter has ended. Gabby Morse is the week’s Campus Celebrity because of her compassion, honesty, bubbly personality and the leadership roles that she holds here at DePaul. Without further ado, I introduce to you, Gabby Morse.

Name: Gabby Morse

Hometown: Cottage Grove, MN (a southern suburb of St. Paul)

Major: German

Minor: PAX, International Communication, and possibly International Politics

Graduation Year: 2018

Dream Job: something that I’d get to actively use the German language

Campus Involvement: Chicago Quarter Mentor, Quantitative Reasoning tutor, Best Buddies associate member, ISEE mentor

Is there a female in your life or in the media that inspires you?

I know this sounds super cliche but honestly my mom.  My mom taught me how to be gracious when forgiving (because apologizing is hard!) and how to ask for forgiveness, how to love unconditionally and how to receive unconditional love, to be excited for other’s successes instead of feeling bitter or bad about my own successes in comparison, that I have the right to say no and that others have that same right, that there’s never a problem so great it can’t be overcome… I could go on and on.  Also her and my grandma have both instilled their love of flowers and plants in me, and for that, I am grateful.

What do you miss the most about home?

I miss laughing and watching The Office & Modern Family with my younger brother, going to my grandparent’s house with all of my cousins, annoying my cat Zoey with my love and attention, and being in the company of other people who love Minnesota as much as I do.

Where can we usually find you on campus?

One of my favorite places on the Lincoln Park campus is my staff professional (in my Chicago Quarter teaching team) Joyana Dvorak’s office, so you could probably find me there.  It has a really comfy couch, St. Vincent M&Ms, and she’s always willing to listen to my struggles and celebrations.

Favorite Movie:

Dirty Dancing!  And Corpse Bride… mostly because it reminds me so much of my very best friends from home.

Favorite memory about college?

One of my all time favorites will probably always be when I went on a roadtrip to Milwaukee with my friends Jack and David and we listened to the Wicked soundtrack and the Tarzan soundtrack.  It was during one of the first months of my freshman year here, and I was feeling really homesick, so doing this made me feel A LOT better.

Netflix addiction:

I’m really really slow with watching Netflix and I watch multiple shows at once– I’ve been watching Glee since my junior year of high school, Gilmore Girls since last December, The Office since last April, and Malcolm in the Middle since last February.

What’s one thing you’re looking forward to this year?

Visiting my sister at Providence College with my grandparents for Thanksgiving!

Let’s hear a random fact!

I talked to Harry Styles on the phone when I was a junior in high school. It was magical.

DePaul '19 Journalsim, Public Relations and Advertising major. Diet coke is my favorite & so is eating in general. Watching Scandal, Once Upon a Time & listening to Demi Lovato are my pass times.
Michelle is a third year Secondary Education English student at DePaul University that enjoys sarcasm, laughing at cats on the internet, and forgetting to wear her glasses to class.