This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

1. “I don’t want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again.” This Side of Paradise

2. “I fell in love with her courage, her sincerity, and her flaming self respect. And it’s these things I’d believe in, even if the whole world indulged in wild suspicions that she wasn’t all she should be. I love her and it is the beginning of everything.” in a letter regarding his love for his bride, Zelda Sayre

3. “I want to know you moved and breathed in the same world with me.” The Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. “They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.” This Side of Paradise

5. “His heart beat faster and faster as Daisy’s white face came up to his own. He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips’ touch she blossomed like a flower and the incarnation was complete.” The Great Gatsby

6. “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” Tender is the Night

7. “He smiled understandingly – much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced–or seemed to face–the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.” The Great Gatsby

8. “He’s sensitive and I don’t want him to break his heart over somebody who doesn’t care about him.”This Side of Paradise

9. “‘Ah,’ she cried, ‘you look so cool.’ Their eyes met, and they stared together at each other, alone in space. With an effort she glanced down at the table. ‘You always look so cool,’ she repeated. She had told him that she loved him, and Tom Buchanan saw.” The Great Gatsby

10. “At fifteen you had the radiance of early morning, at twenty you will begin to have the melancholy brilliance of the moon” This Side of Paradise

11. “Angry, and half in love with her, and tremendously sorry, I turned away.” The Great Gatsby

12. “There are all kinds of love in this world, but never the same love twice” The Great Gatsby

13. “I can’t tell you just how wonderful she is. I don’t want you to know. I don’t want anyone to know.” This Side of Paradise

14. “Gatsby looked at Daisy in a way that every young girl wanted to be looked at”  The Great Gatsby

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.