person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

The First Ever #Whitterview: Meet Kay Brown of BETCHES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

A BETCH is… “A girl that isn’t afraid to speak her mind. She’s funny, quick witted, smart and a no-bullshit kind of girl. She is self aware in knowing that she likes to keep up with the latest trends but is able to make fun of herself for it.” ~ Kay Brown

I am sure you have an instagram and have either followed or creeped on @betches before; your source for all your favorite memes. Some of those memes were produced by their social media producer who I am here to introduce you to today. Meet Kay Brown, the meme queen, betches extraordinaire. Also known as Kay York City, just so you know if I reference her in this way. She’s so good at what she does, her best meme had over 12 million views!

…. Drum Roll please……

It is now time for the first ever #Whitterview (Whitney Interview)!

Lets get to know Kay with my Q’s I created and her A’s she responded!

Tell me about where you grew up- are you originally from NYC?

KYC: I’m originally from Cincinnati, OH. I’m one of 2 siblings, and I’m the oldest. My younger sister and parents still live there.

Where did you go to school and what for? Did you always know you wanted to be a content creator?

KYC: I went to Northern Kentucky University and have a major in Musical Theater. I’ve been working as an actor since I was 16 years old. About a year and a half ago I realized I didn’t’t love it anymore and started looking for a new career. I’ve always loved social media. I had a Live Journal, AIM, Xanga, and Myspace. I actually used to code my own layouts. HA! So I started looking for jobs in social media and finally got my dream job.

Speaking of being the MEME QUEEN, you’re also a caption queen- how do you come up with them all? They’re GENIUS!

KYC: Captions are hard. I try to just write down random thoughts I have. If you always try to match the photo with the caption it will be boring. I also hate motivational quotes. LOL. Sounds mean but they make me crazy.

SIDE NOTE: I would show you her captions…………. But I like to keep ya on your toes, check out her instagram if you don’t believe me, she is the caption queen. (Social Media handle below).

Now we all know you’re a Bachelor lover- if you were able to be on any of the past bachelor seasons who would you have wanted to compete for and why?

KYC: Ohhhh. This is tough. I think I would have to say Ben Higgins. I actually didn’t’t even start watching till his season, so I don’t know many of the other Bachelors. I also think he’s suppppper hot.

If you could have dinner with three people who would you choose?

KYC: Leonardo DiCaprio because he was my first celeb crush and will always be my one true love.

The person who created Tostitos queso because they have simultaneously ruined my life but have also given it purpose.

Andddd Mindy Kaling because she is responsible for so much of the humor in my life.

You have a pretty amazing clique- did you ever imagine you would be friends with any of these people? Such as DeMario from the Bachelorette and James from Vanderpump Rules?

KYC: The people I have met this past year are incredible. It’s crazy to think I spent a my days watching them on TV and now I text, and Facetime, and hang out with them. I don’t think I would have ever predicted that I would be this close with them but life is crazy af and so am I. I always tend to put myself in the most random situations and cool things come from them. DeMario, Vinny and Iggy from Bachelor, James from Vanderpump and now Corey Brooks and Paulie from Big Brother have all become some of my favorite people. I’m v excited to see what 2018 has in store.

Now after reading Kay’s Q&A don’t you think she has one of the coolest jobs to exist? Yeah, me too. I’ll leave you with some advice Kay has given on how to get out there and make a name for your self!  

“Network. It’s so important. Meet people whenever you go out and wherever you go. You never know who you’ll meet and how it could change your life. Also, never be afraid to ask. Whether it’s a favor or for an opportunity or even a date! The worst someone can say is no and if they say no, fine! But it’s always worth a try and can’t hurt.”- Kay York City

I’m sure I made you fall in love with Kay as I have and want to get caption ideas so follow her and get in line to be her best friend, I already am.

Thanks for tuning in to my first ever #Whitterview and thank you to my (almost) bff KYC for being my first!

@KayYorkCity on Instagram & Twitter

@Betches on Instagram to check out some of her work!

@Betchesluvthis on Twitter

SaveSave

Public Relations student at DePaul University in Chicago. Minnesota grown. President of DePaul University Love Your Melon Campus Crew "I'm proud of the person I've become, because I fought to become her." Twitter & Instagram: @whitneywahlers