This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Being a school commuter is tough: you take a car, train, bus, or bike to wherever you need to be. Transferring to a four-year university from a two-year college was a big change for me, especially having my university located in a big city like Chicago. Compared to the suburban roads I’m used to, city travel is a lot more hectic and intimidating.  

Being a commuter during college can be difficult when we compare it to having the traditional “college experience”. City colleges are far different from rural colleges. Before I transferred from my two-year college, I was working at the time and doing the daily school pick up for my family. Thankfully, I lived only half an hour from my hometown, but the time I used to drive, I could have used it to get involved in school. It was a heartbreaking and difficult time for me, I wanted to be part of something bigger than a classroom, but I just didn’t have the time. Switching over to a four-year university was a scary thing. Having friends who went straight to a four-year university after leaving high school gave me comfort in what to expect. I am thankful that I got to have people experience it and help me transition. 

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

I sometimes feel that being a commuter holds me back from meeting new people. I compare myself to others who meet by being roommates or socializing around during the weekends. Thinking that I could only make friends if I lived on campus was a stressful mindset to have. However, you gotta push that mindset away girl! It’s not going to be healthy having those thoughts in your mind and I have learned that it’s not true.

Commuting can have its pros and cons, but I like to keep the happy and positive thoughts in my brain. Let’s start with cons just to get them over with: Traffic. Goodness, even the word brings me anxiety. If you live half an hour or more from your school like me, traffic in the morning is a pain. But the way I get through is by having small snacks to keep me company and blasting my radio. Secondly, weekends. Yes—weekends. Many of our fellow classmates who live on campus like making plans on weekends when it’s no class day. But don’t let that stop you from communicating with your peers your personal position. I always believe that there is always a solution to a problem!

Image Courtesy of Carmax

I have always been a shy and introverted person, but commuting should not stop you from joining organizations and clubs. Being more involved has made me feel like I have a voice in my school, and you should too! It’s scary being the new person in a group but 99.99 percent they will welcome you in with loving arms. Be courageous and push yourself to take that extra step and take control of your time. 

Lastly, I feel like commuting has helped me in my time management! Reminding myself to make time for the drive, to not procrastinate (I do it less now honestly) and forcing yourself to plan ahead for what the next day will be. In the end, enjoy commuting even if it’s a necessity or choice, be thankful of the many new opportunities your future will bring you!

“Bless the commute and stay safe!”

Odalys Diaz

DePaul '21

I am a full time student fascinated by the world of makeup, hair, and many books! My love for nature has me outside just enjoying the air or taking walks to different destinations.