‘Cutthroat Kitchen’ Is Basically Cooking in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Living in a dorm or apartment has its upsides, like living without hearing “clean your room” every five seconds or meeting fun new people in the laundry room. However, cooking for myself is one college challenge that I wasn’t prepared for.

Same, girl. Image courtesy of Food Network.

The show “Cutthroat Kitchen” involves chefs using sabotages against each other by taking away ingredients or giving each other obstacles to overcome, like hacking through a block of ice.

Image courtesy of Food Network.

Watching this show on a Sunday night suddenly made me think of my typical weekday night as a college student! At the end of the day after class I come home and proceed to search my kitchen for ingredients that could possibly work together. Much like “Cutthroat Kitchen” I’ll either find a can of soup⎯but no can opener⎯or even try to figure out what in my mostly empty cupboards to put on a piece of bread. I’ve learned a lot from watching this show because these chefs can really make anything out of nothing, much like college students.

Next time you’re whipping something up in the kitchen, remember that you are a “Cutthroat Kitchen” chef at heart! Also, make sure to stock up on the basics for your kitchen with appliances and food. My crockpot has saved me so much time in the kitchen and microwave has made me a ton of meals, but there are those rare occasions when I want to whip up a gourmet meal. However, based on limited knowledge and supplies, I believe college students are in their own league of “Cutthroat Kitchen”, which is a great skill-building experience to have for the rest of our lives.

Lauren, 20, attends DePaul University in Chicago as a Health Science major concentrating in Nursing. Lauren loves health, fitness, plants, and enjoys crafting in her free time! Her favorite book is #GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso and she is currently trying to read as many Stephen King books as she can! Lauren hopes to become a Nurse Practitioner one day and focus in either dermatology or plastic surgery. The best advice Lauren could give to other girls in college is to always plan a fun activity such as a fun workout class or fun event to look forward to each month, in order to stay happy and healthy!