This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The 2020-2021 school year is shaping up to be the oddest school year of the century — definitely one for the books. Some schools have decided to open while some have opted to play it safe and stay virtual for the time being. 

The future of the COVID-19 pandemic is uncertain as we learn more about this strange virus. Schools across the world vary as they weigh the costs of education quality versus the risks of the Coronavirus. Here is a list of colleges’ plans for conducting classes during the Coronavirus pandemic, starting with my own school.

DePaul University—Chicago, Illinois

DePaul Campus
Original photo by Natalie Lockett

Illinois has seen record high daily case counts as we begin a long anticipated spike while the weather drops. As of Oct. 28, DePaul University has managed to only have 22 recorded case counts since August. Something to keep in mind is that the university did not have a public COVID dashboard until August. 

Another reason for the university’s low case counts is due to the decision to stay primarily remote for the Fall Quarter. Originally, DePaul was going to adopt a model with classes varying from in-person, hybrid, and online classes, but changed course to an almost fully online fall quarter. The school also forced students to move out of the dorms unless they had extenuating circumstances.

DePaul also recently announced that most winter quarter classes will continue to operate remotely. Unlike most schools, DePaul is on a quarter system with three ten-week sessions throughout the year in addition to optional summer classes. The school’s provost acknowledged the possibility of reopening at the end of March for the Spring Quarter.

Emerson College — Boston, Massachusetts

People on Campus
Image by Stanley Morales
Emerson College on the other hand decided to operate differently. The Boston school is known for having primarily arts-related programs where hands-on learning is key. The medium-sized college deemed it was necessary to reopen for the Fall Semester with a mix of in-person and online classes.

As of Oct. 25, Emerson had an extremely low case rate compared to most colleges and universities across the nation. This could be due to being located in Massachusetts, where they, along with much of the Northeast, have among the lowest Coronavirus positivity rates in the nation. Other efforts to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 include reducing campus density by utilizing the luxury W Hotel for student housing this school year. 

Emerson’s Fall classes go from the beginning of September to mid-December. Emerson opted to not have students return to campus for Thanksgiving break and complete the remaining few weeks of the semester online.

The Spring Semester will have similar course modalities as the Fall. However, like many other colleges in Boston, there will be no spring break; instead, classes will be held during that time. The semester will still end at the beginning of May as usual.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

Here are a few ways you can make the most out of Corona college.
  • Take advantage of having the flexibility to do your schoolwork wherever you want, and consider planning a weekend road trip by yourself or with a few friends, for example. 
  • Corona college has put an extra emphasis on technology, so use this time to familiarize yourself with software programs so you have a leading edge when applying for internships or full-time careers post-graduation.
  • If you really want to savor your college years and wait to return once it is safe to go back in person, consider taking some time off. You can use this time off as a self-growth experience in multiple ways by volunteering, for instance, or if your local job market allows, get a full-time job, and save up so you are financially secure for the following school year. 

While some people try to reassure themselves that this pandemic is only temporary, there are consequences and devastation of losing as much as a whole year of a once in a lifetime college experience. As a fellow student, all you can do is try to make the best of this unique situation. 

I’m a Junior at DePaul. I enjoy writing for Her Campus!