books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Cafe Review: Loba Pastry + Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

As a coffee addict, I’m always on the lookout for new cafes in Chicago. I find that I always get more work done at a cafe than at home or even the library. I was driving down Lincoln Ave the other night when I noticed a bright purple neon sign to my left – Loba Pastry + Coffee.

Located right off the Paulina brown line stop at 3422 N. Lincoln Ave, Loba Pastry + Coffee offers a selection of espresso drinks, tea, and fresh in-house pastries made daily. It opened a year and a half ago by owner Val Taylor.   

I was served by Sarah, who explained that loba means “she-wolf” in Spanish, hence the teeth in the logo.

The space is very cozy and community-oriented. Aside from two bright yellow benches along the wall, the only seating is one communal table in the center of the cafe. Beautiful morning sunlight floods through the windows illuminating the interior.

I ordered their fall specialty drink, the marigold latte, and an orange vanilla financier pastry. It was definitely on the pricier side, but both the drink and the pastry were absolutely delicious. You could really tell that they just made the pastry a couple hours prior. Make sure to check back throughout the year as they change their specialty drink every season.

Loba’s hours are a bit limited, especially for the average college student’s schedule. However, if you’re a morning person + have some free time, I would definitely recommend checking it out. They are open 7am-3pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 7am-5pm on Fridays, and 8am-4pm on Saturdays and Sundays. They are closed on Tuesdays.

I’d like to extend a huge thank you to both Sarah and Val for being so accommodating and helpful.