This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Award show season has come and gone, and my favorite time of the year went out with a bang with the 91st Academy Awards, which took place on February 24th. For the first time in 30 years, the ceremony went on without a host, and if I am being honest, I quite liked it. There weren’t any awkward bits or jokes, everything flowed naturally, and it didn’t feel like anything was missing. The ceremony had many memorable moments, and here a just a few of my favorites.

Glenn Close’s Reaction to Billy Porter

This moment happened on the red carpet before the ceremony even started. It happened while Billy Porter (who had one of the BEST looks of the night) was being interviewed and Glenn Close walked past. Her reaction to his look held about 40 emotions in just a few seconds, and it is truly meme-worthy. This honestly might be my favorite moment of the night, even if it happened before the ceremony began.

Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Maya Rudolph

If the Academy wants to return to having a host, I would highly suggest these three. The comedic trio introduced the show and presented the first award of the night, and gave the audience a giant laugh. They poked fun at the awards, themselves, and some nominees. The trio gave off the vibe that they were in fact hosting, and I would not have been mad if they would’ve been.

Image Courtesy of the Daily Beast

Regina King Winning

I have been a fan of Regina King since A Cinderella Story so I was super excited when she won Best Supporting Actress for her role in If Beale Street Could Talk. Besides the adorable moment she had where Chris Evans helped her up the stage steps, her speech was emotional and genuine. She became teary-eyed when thanking her mom, who attended the ceremony with her, and it was evident that King was truly honored to have received the award.

Melissa McCarthy and Bryan Tyree Henry Presenting in Costume

When these two stepped out on stage to present the award for Best Costumes, they immediately caught everyone’s attention. Both presenters were wearing costumes that combined all of the nominated works. With aspects of Mary Poppins, Black Panther, The Favourite, Mary Queen of Scots, and more, their costume pieces were hilarious and a change of pace.​

Courtesy of Popsugar  

The Mary Poppins Returns Performance

Whether it was Keegan-Michael Key’s Mary Poppins inspired umbrella entrance to introduce the performance, or the actual song itself, this moment is one of my favorites. I have a sentimental connection to both Mary Poppins and Bette Midler, so when she graced the stage to perform her rendition of “The Place Where Lost Things Go” from Mary Poppins Returns, I found myself incredibly emotional. Her singing was beautiful, and the song is quite sad. This was my favorite song performance of the night (yes I am sorry “Shallow”).

Olivia Colman Winning

No one was more surprised about Olivia Colman winning the Oscar for Best Lead Actress than Olivia Colman. Her reaction when they called her name was adorable as she was obviously not expecting it. Her acceptance speech was endearing and humble, as she grasped the right words to say. She became a bit emotional and it was evident that she was unprepared for the moment and so grateful for the award. Colman ended her speech the way that anyone would: “Lady Gaga! Hah!”.

Courtesy of Harpers Bazaar

Awards season has now officially ended with the grand finale of the Oscars. The red carpets have been rolled away, designer gowns hanging back in the closet, and freshly minted Academy Award winners have a new trophy. Now I must wait until 2020 when my favorite time of year returns.

Sadie is co- Campus Correspondent for Her Campus DePaul. She is a proud Wisconsinite double majoring in Journalism and Media and Cinema Studies. She is a cheese-loving lactose intolerant, musical theater nerd, movie buff, and cat lady. If you ever need to know unnecessary random facts about celebrities or want a live reenactment of every episode of The Office, she's your gal.