Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Halloween Hub Concept 2019 Static Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style

6 Affordable Halloween Costume Ideas Inspired by Pop Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Just because Halloween might look different this year amid the pandemic doesn’t mean you can’t still dress up and take pictures for the ‘gram while being safe — and you can’t forget about VSCO. Here are six affordable costume ideas inspired by pop culture that you can recreate at home this spooky season. 

Two Ghosts Standing in Front of a Brick Wall
Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

1. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake

All denim everything. You can make this as extra or as subtle as you’d like and it makes for a great couples costume that doesn’t require anyone leaving their comfort zones. This gives you an excuse to wear jeans while social distancing (unless you have been wearing them regularly, and to that, I ask, why?).

2. The Cheetah Girls

Wearing a comfortable tracksuit and headband in a cute pastel color? Yes, please! The Cheetah Girls represent equality, feminism, and helped inspire some of this generation’s strong and independent women. You can also pretend that you’re in New York, Barcelona, or Bollywood living your best life while being comfortable and warm.

3. Kris Jenner

If you have all the elements to this costume, you will look amazing, sweetie. All you need is a pair of sunglasses (preferably a reflective pair so no one can look into your eyes), a faux fur or teddy coat, and a short black $10 amazon wig and you’re good to go. Everyone else will instantly know that you’re calling them poor in seven different languages.

letter box with boo! on it and small pumpkins
Photo by Jillian Morkan from Pexels

4. Joanne the Scammer

There is no doubt that Joanne is one of the most well-known figures in pop culture, especially within the Black community. This costume requires similar items to the Kris Jenner costume idea above, which makes me happy and speaks so much to this character. 

All you need is a faux fur or teddy coat, a black dress, some red lipstick, and a short $10 amazon wig in black or blonde. Feel free to make the wig look messy since that is Joanne’s staple. Fake facial hair and sunglasses are encouraged, honestly! 

5. Jennifer Check

Megan Fox has always had a strong influence, and now pop culture is finally giving Jennifer’s Body the recognition it deserves. You can wear a generic cheerleading costume (or a blue/purple skirt and long-sleeved blue/purple crop top) and add fake blood to your lip to emulate her vampire alter-ego. 

You can also take an old white dress and smear fake blood (or ketchup) all over it with a black choker and slicked back hair. This is the perfect excuse to trash your old white prom dress that reminds you of your ex, just saying.

6. Tiffany “New York” Pollard

Let’s face it—  this Halloween, many of us will probably be laying in our beds with our fingers crossed and daydreaming about what could have been this year. Why not channel the popular meme to show how you’re really feeling!

All you need is a white tank top, some leggings, and some sunglasses. You will be instantly meme-able and extremely relatable.

Milk-Bone Pumpkin and Candy Mask Set
Milk-Bone

Whatever your plans are this year, remember to stay safe. No party or gathering is worth contracting a deadly virus, no matter how cute your costume turns out. Wear a mask, practice social distancing, and be responsible. Happy Halloween!