5 Things That Happen When You Work an On Campus Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

On campus jobs are amazing opportunities for students to get some cash while being in an environment that puts their education first. No matter what department you work in, you know that your boss will understand that your schoolwork is a priority. These are five things that happen to every student employee.

1. You see everyone you know

Since you’re working on campus, that means you will see that girl from your psych class, your professor from last quarter, and your friend’s roommate all in one shift. At some point, you just have to get used to the fact that you know everyone who will come into your work, no matter how much you pray that cutie from your English class doesn’t show up when you woke up 15 minutes before your shift.

2. You live where you work

Your job is already super close to where you live, whether you live on or off campus, and your classes probably surround your job as well. This means you end up spending more time at your on campus job than you would at an off campus job, whether it’s just to talk to your coworker until your class starts or to try to squeeze in some homework before your next shift. Plus, do you really want to walk all the way back home before your next class?

3. Your coworkers are more than your coworkers

They’re your classmates, friends, study buddies, and more. Most likely, you don’t just work with your coworkers, but you have classes with them or are in the same extracurriculars. At some point they end up knowing more about your life than some of your closest friends. Running into them outside of work will end up being a daily occurrence which you’ll end up looking forward to.

4. You will have awkward encounters

Having to tell the girl from your history class that she’s breaking a rule or having your old professor avoid eye contact is just the beginning of the awkward encounters you’ll face once you work an on campus job.

5. You appreciate every other student worker 10 times more

Being a student worker means you understand every other student employee as well and appreciate those around you even more. Whether someone working in the same department as you or a desk attendant or someone at the library, you know exactly how they’re feeling since you’ve been in their shoes.

While no one likes having a job all the time, on campus jobs are some of the best jobs for college students, even with the awkward moments and too many run ins with people you know.