This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The start of a new school year can be stressful. New classes. New responsibilities. New expectations. It’s a lot to handle at one time. With so many new components, things can start to feel out of your control. And when everything feels overwhelming, it can help to have something you can control.

Your skin. It’s an essential element of feeling like yourself. Be kind to it and it can help you gain confidence, being comfortable in your body, and feel refreshed and ready to tackle the year. Because when your skin is glowing, it helps the rest of you glow too. Try out some of these school year skincare routine suggestions to start your year off on the right foot.

A soothing facial spray: 

Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Cucumber and Green Tea $7

This is my favorite part of my morning routine. Morning showers dry out my skin, but this spray helps rejuvenate it with tons of herbal and botanical benefits. The aloe helps with acne and dry skin. The cucumber essential water cools and tightens your skin. And the green tea reduces redness and helps shrink pores while protecting your skin from the harsh sun. So it’s basically an all-in-one product that you can easily use to help your skin look amazing.

Mario Badescu also has a great variety of sprays, so you can find the one (or two, or three) that’s perfect for you! Honestly, it was so hard to choose just one. But I definitely recommend figuring out what your skin needs most and then choosing your spray based on that.

You can even use this spray as a finish to your makeup routine! Once you’re done applying your makeup, mist this spray as a final step to add to your glow

A hydrating body lotion:

Live Clean Coconut Milk Body Lotion $25

At the beginning of the day, your skin is feeling its best. But as the day goes on, it may start to dry out. With coconut milk lotion, you’re not just helping your body get through the day, you’re setting it up for a long future of looking great. From hydrating your body for the day, to tightening skin and preventing wrinkles for the future, coconut milk helps your body stay its best for longer. And while we’re making sure we take care of our faces, we shouldn’t forget to hydrate the rest of our body.

Live Clean’s body lotion particularly stood out to me because they’re eco-friendly and use natural ingredients. When we’re taking care of our bodies, it is so essential that we remember to take a look at what’s in the products we’re putting on ourselves. Use products from brands that have your health and well-being in mind. Your body will thank you.

A deep cleansing oil:

DHC Deep Cleansing Oil $28

The easiest thing you can do to take care of your body is to take off your makeup at night. Honestly, I cannot stress this enough. Cleansing oils are so important because they help your body do its job. When you leave your makeup on, it clogs your pores, causing acne and irritation. So adding in a cleansing oil actually helps your routine in two ways: ensuring your makeup is off completely, and by refreshing your skin at the end of the day. And with this 1-step cleanser, it’ll be so easy to help your skin feel clean and soft that you’ll want to take your makeup off.

This cleansing oil uses olive oil and rosemary leaf oil to help invigorate your skin. Olive oil helps moisturize and exfoliate skin while providing it with vitamins to help it glow. Rosemary also provides your skin with essential vitamins and can help with stress (such an important element as we head into the fall quarter!)

A calming sleep mask:

Mamonde Calming Hydro Sleep Mask (with Calendula flowers) $25

Sleep is one of the most important parts of the day. When you wake up, you want to feel rested, refreshed, and rejuvenated. Making sure you have a nighttime skincare routine helps you feel better and aids your skin’s natural renewal process.

This cooling mask is great for the final step of your evening routine because it replenishes and moisturizes your face while you sleep. When you apply the mask, it quickly melts onto your skin, so you don’t have to worry about getting it on your pillow or in your hair during the night. Plus, calendula flowers in the mask help to sooth and comfort your skin, helping you wake up ready to tackle the day.

Don’t forget to take care of yourself this school year. When you care for yourself and your body first, you can handle anything that gets thrown your way. Create your perfect skincare routine so you can start this year as the badass babe you’re meant to be!

Margaret is a Marketing student in her final year at DePaul University. In her spare time, she enjoys writing, volunteering, attending live theatre performances, and training for races.