This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Winter is almost upon us! I know, I’m sad too. Although the sparkling white snow is enchanting, the cold makes it difficult to enjoy the view. In fall, you get to break out the leggings and flannels. In winter, it suddenly becomes a whole lot harder to look cute and stay warm. Of course, I would always put the latter above the former, but I don’t think any of us want to look like hermits for an entire season. Here are a few tips from me to you for how to spruce up your look when the frost is frightening.

Scarves are always a great way to pop some color into your ensemble. Coats, jackets, gloves, and sweatpants have the tendency to hail from a more monochromatic color wheel. Winter is dark enough as it is, so why not brighten it up a bit? Whether it is rich in color, has some interesting designs incorporated, or an eye-catching texture, a good scarf will easily become the focus of your outfit. They’re a great way to trap the heat and add draping to the look. This will bring another level of dimension to the layers you will be swaddled in.

Image

Beanies are a fun way to keep your head warm and your hair in place, not to mention dry. I know that for me personally, snowfall can easily make my hair frizzy. Getting wet, then drying, then getting wet again en route to classes is awful. I recommend beanies because they come in all different colors, patterns, and textures. They are extremely comfortable and easily go with anything. They work with every style too, so you don’t have to match a certain trend to wear one. Pro tip: I always pull my hair around my face a bit, so that my forehead doesn’t look too big with the fabric pulled back. Plus, it isn’t hard to find a size that fits. My head is a bit on the smaller side, and I still have found a few that fit like a glove (but on your head…). 

Image 

Knee-High Socks can bring a flirty vibe to your look. You can brave the cold and wear a cute dress or skirt while still keeping your legs warm. You can wear them over jeans or leggings, drawing attention to your thighs without showing any skin. They pair great with boots of any height: ankle, mid-calf, or knee-high. For knee-high boots, just fold the cuff of the sock over the top and you will have a lovely little detail to your look. Not only do they keep your feet nice and toasty, but they also provide another layer to the part of your legs that don’t have as much natural insulation.

Image

English major with a concentration in creative writing