This 24-Year-Old is Running for Congress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

Meet Erin Schrode, a 24-year-old activist running for the U.S. Congress as a Democrat in California’s 2nd district. She is running on a platform of environmentalism, education, and human rights. 

http://www.erinfor.us 

“Our country is run by predominately older males with legal background and state legislature expertise. I don’t fit any of those molds. There’s a million reasons why I should not run for office. But I’m doing it.” 

She’s spent years advocating and educating the public, working with youth and underprivileged people, and now she wants make long-lasting solutions to the problems this country faces.

“Paid leave, equal pay, access to reproductive health—must be assured now. It’s 2016.”

“Because human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights,” she says, quoting Hillary Clinton.

Erin is an internationally recognized speaker in which she addresses influential global leaders, she works as an eco correspondent and consults corporations and organizations—such as the US State Department, Coca-Cola, Chipotle, United Nations, and many more—and she co founded the non-profit Turning Green. This woman is one of the most inspiring and accomplished 24 year-olds you will ever hear of. 

Honoring her commitment to lead through action, The White House called Erin “a dynamic, passionate and ambitious young woman committed to creating big change everywhere she goes.”

As she aims to expand the definition of what a politician is, and who can engage in the political process, we wish her the best of luck and we’re left with one word:

#GOALS