Running Shoes Water Bottle
Running Shoes Water Bottle
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness

12 Thoughts and Feelings I Had While Dancing For 12 Hours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

From May 4th through the 5th, DePaul University held its annual DemonTHON charity dance marathon to benefit the children and families seeking treatment at Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago. Since its initiation in 2011, DemonTHON dancers have raised over one million dollars. This year, 16 teams put on their dancing shoes for shifts of 12 to 24 hours. Here are twelve thoughts and feelings I had while dancing for twelve hours straight:

When I could not find my second underarmour knee high sock that was supposed to keep me warm and safe from the wicked McGrath AC and my heart sank a little:    

Sad heartbreak robot
burak kostak on Pexels

When a Swiftie notices that it’s 4 o’clock in the morning and it’s time to sing the best song Tay Tay has ever written:                             

I WISH IT WASN’T 4AM, STANDING IN THE MIRROR SAYING TO MYSELF, “YOU KNOW YOU HAD TO DO IT I KNOW. THE BRAVEST THING I EVER DID WAS RUUUUNNNN. SOMETIMES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT I CAN FEEL YOU AGAIN, AND I JUST MISS YOU AND I JUST WISH YOU WERE A BETTER MAN.” (skip to 3:41 for Better Man)

I love doing makeup in the bathroom at 5am with half asleep strangers because the energy is great. They say girls in pub bathrooms are always really nice. Sure, but have you ever met FTK girls in the bathroom? Ten times better. 

When bae visits me and brings coffee:

gif of Jimmy Fallon saying "you're my best friend and I mean that"
Jimmy Fallon via GIPHY

*DJ plays Katy Perry song* What would St Vinny think about the lyrics “nice legs daisy dukes making me go *wolf whistle*?????

My color group is cooler than your color group! HA!

My coloring skills are fantastic; why aren’t my Hello Kitty pages in the Art Institute?

When people are too tired to get my jokes: y’all are from another planet in a galaxy far, far away.

Sororities have such fantastic color coordination dedication; I’m here for it.

The athletes here are D1 while I’m D None, but I’m dancing into my tenth hour, so who’s the real MVP?

So, I was so tired I accidentally dropped my iPhone around hour nine-ish. My plastic phone case was cracked in half, but my actual phone was/is safe and working just fine. I am one with the force and the force is with me.

DemonTHON should have therapy dogs and cats to play with because not sitting down for 12-24 hours is really really stressful on the mind, body, and soul. And they should distribute more coffee.

Marta Leshyk

DePaul '20

Aspiring high school English teacher who hopes to help students learn to love and value themselves the way an old friend once helped her. Loves cats immensely, and enjoys iced coffee in the dead of winter. Is the proud daughter of immigrants, and learned English from Elmo, the ultimate PBS scholar.