10 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day During a Global Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DePaul chapter.

The 50th Anniversary of Earth Day is cause for celebration! Although we’re all stuck at home, we are still able to venture outside as long as we keep our distance from other people and wear a mask. How will you celebrate Earth Day? Here’s some inspiration! 

1. Craft a homemade face mask. Spare fabric? Turn it into a mask! 

face mask prevention
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

2. Try to transition to a vegan lifesytle for a week. Order home delivery from your local vegan restaurant! Help to decrease the harmful effects of the meat industry’s pollution and animal cruelty. 

aesthetic layout of cooking supplies on a blue background
Photo by Icons8 Team on Unsplash

3. Listen to podcasts about environmental justice. I’d recommend NPR’s ‘Living Downstream.’ 

spotify, phone, headphones, music
Fixelgraphy / Unsplash

4. Make Earth Day art! Display it in your window to show off to your neighbors.  

camcorder on blue background
Photo by Thomas William on Unsplash

5. If you have a backyard and the weather is decent, set up camp out there! Stoke a fire, star gaze, share scary stories in the comfort of your backyard.

Stars in the night sky
Photo by Sven Scheuermeier on Unsplash

6. Dive head first into a Youtube black hole of nature and wildlife videos! 

Orangutan Mother and Baby
E-smile

7. Feed the hungry squirrels in your backyard. Design a ridiculous trail of nuts and witness squirrels make fools of themselves!

Blueberries
Pexels

8. Since you’re stuck at home, take inventory of the things you have! Look through your closet for items to donate post-quarantine.

a person sits crosslegged on the ground folding laundry, including jeans and shirts which sit in piles before them
Sarah Brown | Unsplash

9. If the weather allows, Zoom outside! No need for a virtual background.

Coronavirus
Unsplash

10. Green and blue cupcakes! Green and blue nail polish! Green and blue eyeshadow!

row of blue cupcakes
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

Profess your love for Mother Earth on social media and shower her with your love and affection. We should not take her for granted!  

three women standing on the top of a cliff looking down on the water
Via Tron Le on Unsplash

Her Campus editor and DePaul senior with an Organizational Communication major.