Life > Experiences

Why Everyone Should Try Karaoke at Least Once

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I’ve never been one to really enjoy singing or performing in front of large groups of people, or even public speaking for that matter. So this weekend when I was heading out with my friends to a karaoke-themed frat party, I was pretty positive I’d just be spending the night watching others sing. My friend and I joked that we’d bless the crowd with a song, but I’ll be honest, I was only saying that with about 15% certainty. Once we got there and realized how comfortable and encouraging the atmosphere was, however, I immediately felt a boost of confidence.

Something I have always, and will always stand by is that everyone needs some spontaneity in their lives. I am a very indecisive and overthinking person, so I tend to put way too much thought into mindless things. So when I spontaneously decided to put my name down for karaoke, I just had to face the fact that there was no going back.

Although there were definitely some nerves at the beginning, by the end of the night not only had I randomly decided to sing a song with my sister, but I ended up singing five different songs with different people, and with no shame at all. I normally would be worried about having a terrible voice, but what was nice about the whole situation is that no one cared how anyone sounded. Everyone was just there to have a good time while dancing and singing along. Thus, this is not something I typically would have done, but there really aren’t many opportunities to do something fun and spontaneous like this.

The next day, I couldn’t stop watching through the videos of my friends and I singing our hearts out, and I can easily say it was one of the best nights of my life. So, what I’m trying to get at, is that we only have four years of college. We can’t get them back once they’re gone, and standing in the back of the crowd just watching other people sing is something that can be done all the time. Even if you’re an introvert, or simply cannot sing well at all, I think everyone should give karaoke a shot. Pick your favorite song and fun people to sing with, and just give it a shot. You won’t regret it!

To finish this off, here are my top five karaoke songs.

1. Wagon Wheel- darius rucker

2. Dancing Queen- Abba

3. You’re so vain- carly simon

4. sweet caroline- neil diamond

5. before he cheats- Carrie underwood

Carly Young

Denison '26

Carly is a sophomore at Denison University from Arlington Heights, Illinois. She is a psychology major and Spanish minor, and is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. Some of her passions include movies and TV, music, baking/cooking, shopping, reading, travel, and dogs.