This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

There comes a time in everyone’s life when things just feel out of sorts. Sometimes this is caused by something in particular, but sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere. That’s when it gets especially tricky because it can be hard to identify the root of the change. Having an off day is one thing, but when it becomes routine to feel off, it’s time to make a change. Luckily, you aren’t stuck, and there are so many ways to help how you’re feeling. 

1. Remember what makes you feel good and do it: This one might seem obvious, but sometimes it’s easy to forget to do the things that fill you up. Life gets busy and looking out for your own wellbeing is often put on the backburner. The transition to college can be especially difficult. Playing tennis, for example, had been part of my everyday routine back in high school. When I came to school, I stopped playing. It wasn’t until I talked to some friends back home that I realized how much a change in routine can affect you.

2. Lean on your support system: Sometimes you just need to be reminded that you are loved and looked out for, that you aren’t in this alone. Spending quality time or talking on the phone with people who care about you will remind you how grateful you are for the people in your life and how lucky those people are to know you. 

3. Take a day for yourself: Everyone has different things that make them feel balanced. Allow yourself to take a day, or even just an evening, to do things that make you feel good. This looks different for everyone, but here are some ideas: take a hike in nature, go to a coffee shop and read a book, cook a homemade meal, go on a drive, watch a movie, or bake.

4. Journal: Taking time to write out how you’re feeling and what you’re experiencing can be really helpful in terms of connecting the dots. Journaling can remind you that even if you’re having a hard time, there are still good things that you experience everyday, even if it’s the kit-kat you bought from the bookstore. It can also be beneficial later on when you look back and see how much things have changed. 

5. See a counselor: There’s absolutely nothing wrong with reaching out for professional help. It is brave, proactive, and smart. Anyone can benefit from therapy. It can be a one time deal or it can be continuous. 

No matter what it going on right now, it is not permanent. There are so many new and exciting things to experience. You aren’t alone, and it’s okay to admit that you haven’t felt yourself recently. There are things and people that are there to help!

Hi! I'm Chloe and I'm a sophomore at Denison University in Ohio. I grew up in Austin, Texas, and I love playing tennis, petting dogs, drinking iced chai, and reading poetry. I am so excited about this opportunity to share my writing!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.