This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

During my first couple of years at Denison, I had trouble finding a good studying method that worked for me. After some trial and error, I found a few things that were super helpful, and changed the way I completed assignments. I know I’m not the only one who had trouble with this, so I wanted to share my small wealth of knowledge with those of you who might need it too.

1. Pomodoro Method

The Pomodoro Method is a time management system that helps people work in shorter increments of time (25 minutes), and then take a short break of 5 minutes. After four Pomodoro’s, you allow yourself to take a longer break of 15 minutes. This has, by far, been the most helpful studying method I’ve found, since it allows me to take a few minutes to rest after working. In my short breaks, I stretch, scroll through Pinterest (not as interactive/time consuming as Instagram or Facebook), clean up my workspace, or get a small snack. I don’t suggest you challenge yourself to take a cat nap in those 5 minutes. You won’t want to get back up. Try to separate yourself from the work, while still doing something productive. 

Here is the Pomodoro timer I use.

1. Make To-Do Lists

I used to keep a weekly planner by my side during my first years of school, but never used it. My junior year I bought a super cute To-Do List planner on Amazon that changed my life. It was a way to look at the tasks I needed to accomplish that particular day, instead of seeing everything I had to do for the week. It was less overwhelming and it just felt good to check stuff off when it was completed!

Here is the planner I purchased.

1. Get Some Rest

I know you think you need to pull that all-nighter, but don’t. If there is anything I have learned over the years, it is that sleep is just as important as keeping yourself fed. It’s what gives you energy to get through the day. If you have enough time to complete the work the next morning, don’t stay up all night to do it. Go to sleep, get at least 5 hours of sleep, and then do it early in the morning. As a senior, this is the most realistic advice I can give to underclassmen. Getting enough sleep has helped me stay focused throughout the day, lessened the need to take more naps, and overall has made me feel good. 

I hope these tips help you a little as we approach finals! Good luck!

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.