kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Overcoming Daylight Savings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Now that it’s November, the dreaded time of year has come around. The clocks set back just a week ago, and we have technically gained an hour. Exciting! More sleep! The downside of this, which I would almost willingly lose the extra hour of sleep to not have, is the sun setting at around 4:30 to 5pm. When it’s dark before dinner time, I lose all motivation to do anything at all. I get tired, and start to think that maybe just going to bed is the best option. It’s a period of time where sluggish-ness, exhaustion, and sleepiness take over. This time also even affects some peoples’ moods, causing them to feel depressed with the lack of sun. No one likes feeling this way, and it’s even worse at college when you’re dealing with classes and extracurriculars. I know that I have let daylight savings get the best of me before, but I’m determined to not let it happen this time. Here are a few tips that I’m trying to follow that might help: 

1. Exercise! This sounds annoying, because it’s normally one of the first things you’re told to do when you’re feeling down. But this really has helped me. I try to work out at least three times a week, even if it is just for twenty minutes. We all have busy schedules, and sometimes it’s hard to fit in the time. Personally, I like to get it out of the way in the morning. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I wake up a little early and go to the gym. Cardio specifically helps create a lot of endorphins, giving your brain more dopamine and serotonin. When I’m really feeling it, I’ll add in some weights, but I mainly like to run on the treadmill or elliptical for at least half an hour. Obviously, everyone’s schedules are different, but finding times to get a quick session in is more important than you think. 

2. Plan something at least once a week that you can look forward to. This can be on or off campus, and as little or big as you want to make it. After a week drowned in work, everyone needs something to revive them; whether that be time with friends or time for self care. This week, I planned to have a nice movie night and baking session with my friends, and a short day trip to Columbus. When you’re feeling unmotivated, it is hard to get yourself out of that funk. Having something to look forward to gives you a quick reminder that once whatever you’re doing is over, you’re that much closer to a reward. 

3. Call your parents. This always makes me feel better. And it will make their day, too! There is never a time that they don’t want to talk to you. The other day, I was feeling a little down, so I called my dad. We spoke for only about twenty minutes, but it changed the course of my day. It’s refreshing to talk to people you love, and it gives you a little feeling of home. 

4. Beat boredom! My favorite things to do for a little bit of entertainment as of late are: drinking tea, watching Tik Toks (they really suck you in), re-watching the Twilight series, online shopping, board games, or just spending time with friends. 

5. Be there for your friends. If you’re feeling like you’re in a funk, odds are that the people around you are, too. Ask for help if you need it, and give help to people you love!

Casey Land

Denison '22

Originally from the Cincinnati, Ohio area, I love to make people laugh and give hope and happiness through my writing.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.