This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

DIY gifts can be one of the best gifts to receive, and they are much better for the environment than most store bought gifts. However, sometimes it can be really hard to come up with a homemade gift for someone. I am here to share some of my favorite DIY gifts, and some further ways you can personalize them. 

I think one of the most important things to think about when giving a homemade gift is if your gift is really useful. Taking into consideration what the receiver might want or need can make for a gift that will be very appreciated. One thing that could fall under this category is upcycled glassware.  

pAINTED GLASSES

Personally, I am constantly looking for a cup in my dorm. I really only have my water bottle, and I don’t like to put drinks other than water in it. One gift that I love is painted glasses. Glasses and cups are easy to find at the thrift store, and paint is not too expensive. There are tons of inspiration pics on Pinterest and this gift is super easy to customize.

(Imagine these glasses, but painted with a cute little design!)

element5 digital E3jZBz5lYp8 unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Another thing to be conscious of is the decor of the gift receiver. Sometimes it is super hard to decorate a dorm, and winter break can be a time where people are starting to get tired of their decor. Therefore, personalized decor makes for a great gift.

Wall art/shadow boxes

Shadow boxes are a great gift for wall decor. All you need to do is thrift a frame, and you can fill it with all sorts of momentos or photos. One thing that I have been meaning to do is use fabric or wrapping paper as a background for a shadow box.

clay magnets

Another cute decor gift is clay magnets. You can use air dry clay (make sure it is artists clay otherwise it might disintegrate). And you can make all sorts of fun shapes and objects. This can be a gift for anyone with a fridge or a magnetic surface!

candles

Another thing I have been meaning to do is make diy candles. This is something I used to do all the time when I was a kid, as it’s very fun and easy. However, since this is something that involves a bit more stakes, I do recommend watching a YouTube tutorial. 

My last gift idea is something small that can be used as a stocking stuffer or as a supplemental gift.

keychains

Considering most people use their backpacks everyday, a fun personalized keychain would be a really cute gift. This could also be a gift for a group of friends so that you all can be connected by your matching keychains. These could be made out of beads, charms, or even clay. 

Another thing to think about when gifting is the material you are using to wrap the gifts. Cute upcycled wrapping paper from paper bags or scraps could be really easy to paint on or write a nice message. This is a thoughtful way to keep the environment in mind this holiday season.

Reilly Burton

Denison '26

Reilly is a sophomore at Denison University studying communication and international studies. She is the social media/outreach coordinator for Her Campus Denison and is involved with various other organizations on campus. She loves to be creative, ski, read, and hang out with the people she loves.