The Holiday Movie You Should Watch, Based on Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Except, not always for us college students…

Between finals, end-of-semester papers, and presentations galore, December is often one of the most anxiety-inducing months in the fall semester. Still, there’s nothing like a little holiday spirit to elevate your mood in-between cramming for your exams. As one of my best friends and I chatted about the holiday festivities we were most looking forward to after we were relieved of our school duties, we kept returning to our favorite movies that we look forward to watching every season. We realized that our tastes in movies differed just about as much as our academic majors, which got me thinking: is there a perfect holiday movie for each college major?

So, here goes: the festive movie I think you should watch, based on your major.

tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Elementary Education- The Polar Express

Let’s face it: You’re probably going to play this for your future classes every holiday season. So, why not get used to it now? In all seriousness, this is a great movie about kids learning the magic of Christmas that I think anyone who likes teaching kids would enjoy. Now, if only it didn’t have such a disturbing “uncanny valley” effect…

Criminal Justice: Eloise at Christmastime

Six-year-old Eloise dons spy gear in an attempt to prove once and for all that Rachel Peabody shouldn’t go through with her impending marriage, and finds out about some nefarious deeds being done in the process. Sure, it’s not exactly consistent with how actual criminal cases go down, but it’s a fun way to reminisce on the detective stories we all loved when we were little.

Economics- A Muppet Christmas Carol

This movie, based on a Charles Dickens tale, tackles important themes about wealth distribution and the spirit of Christmas, all while being presented by adorable puppets. Because what goes better with learning about important economic issues than singing and dancing muppets?

Biology- The Santa Clause

Not going to lie: this was by far the hardest one to come up with. Not many holiday movies seem to scream “lab experiments and dissections.” I decided on “The Santa Clause” because it’s a great break from reality. Biology majors have to focus so heavily on the details of how the natural world works that it’s nice to indulge in a little suspension of disbelief every once and a while. And nothing says that like a literal clause being developed to ensure that there’s always a Santa Claus available to circumnavigate the globe delivering presents in just 24 hours.

Psychology- Elf

Tell me it’s far-fetched, but this classic “fish out of water” story holds ample opportunity to analyze the implications of someone being raised far outside of everyday US culture. Besides, nothing’s a better stress reliever than watching a gigantic elf trying to navigate New York City.

History- White Christmas

Of course I had to go for an old-school movie for this one. White Christmas happens to be my all-time favorite holiday movie. Set during World War II, a group of entertainers teams up to save an inn. It’s fun and entertaining while still containing undertones of the effects of a serious historical event.

Accounting- It’s A Wonderful Life

This one’s on the nose: If you haven’t already watched this movie, it’s a story about a banker who reflects on the many good deeds he has been able to perform over his many years in his profession. Highly recommend, especially if you’re looking for a slightly less cheesy holiday viewing option. Content Warning: suicidal ideation. 

Engineering- Home Alone

Come on, you had to have seen this one coming. Kevin manages to construct a near-magical feat of engineering using household objects in this hilarious classic. Seeing a kid create such a spectacle is the perfect way to end a semester full of challenging design projects.

English- Little Women (2019)

I know, I know- this one isn’t necessarily a holiday movie. But hear me out: The movie opens on a Christmastime scene, and some of the key events that Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy go through revolve around the holidays and wintertime. Plus, it gives you that same warm and fuzzy feeling that a lot of holiday movies do. Obviously, this classic story is perfect for any English major, especially since us writers can often relate to Jo on many levels.

Emily Bost

Denison '25

I am a junior biochemistry major and English literature minor on the pre-med track at Denison! I'm involved in choir, disability advocacy, theatre, newspaper, and medical volunteering alongside Her Campus, and I love to read, play piano, crochet, and thrift in my spare time. I'm passionate about environmental sustainability and breaking down the stigma of mental health and disability on college campuses.