This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

If you’re anything like me, then you love everything Autumn. The feeling it brings, the cool air, the changing of the leaves—and most importantly, you love Halloween.

This year, Halloween might be a little different, but it can still be fun and spooky! Something that I’ve been doing to get myself in the Halloween spirit—pun intended—is to watch some of my favorite shows and some new ones too!

So, if you’re having a hard time finding the spookiness you crave this season, open Netflix, make some popcorn, and watch one of these awesomely unnerving shows.

• The Haunting of Hill House – Netflix

The first one I’ll suggest is for those of you that like the supernatural. This show will have your eyes wide and mouth agape. I don’t want to say too much about the show and spoil it for you, so I’ll just say it’s about a married couple who renovates homes coming across a mansion called Hill House that they decide to buy and restore—only to find out there are secrets hidden within it that creates nightmares for their five children. After watching it, it might even give you some spooky nightmares. *insert ghostly sounds*

But in all seriousness, I couldn’t keep my eyes from the screen while watching this, and the plot twists are so great that you’ll probably want to watch it a second time.

• American Horror Story – Netflix

American Horror Story is pretty much one of the greatest thriller/horror shows ever, in my opinion. There are currently 9 seasons, each one having its own theme and story line. One of the awesome things about this series is the recasting of the actors. You see the same actors playing different characters in most of the seasons. This might sound like it gets confusing, but its super easy to distinguish characters! I cannot praise this show enough, so I suggest you just dive right in to its first season, Murder House.

And a little side note—this show can be a little gory at times, but if you can stomach that stuff, why not give it a go?

•  Ratched – Netflix

This last show is based off the character Nurse Ratched from the book One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I haven’t read the book, but from what I know, you don’t need to have read it to understand the show! So, it’s perfectly okay to watch if you haven’t read it or haven’t seen the movie adaptation of it. There are twists and unexpected turns in each episode that will have you on the edge of your seat, anxiously waiting for the next one to start.

And the main character is played by Sarah Paulson, so if you enjoyed her acting in American Horror Story, you’ll like this show too!

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.