This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

While I am only a freshman in college who is still trying to decide on her major, unsure whether she will ever even want to get married, I have a list of songs that would have to be played at my wedding.  

Tayshia GOAT Hero?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
ABC/Craig Sjodin.
  1. Anyone Who Knows What Love is (Will Understand) – Irma Thomas 

I am not sure what Irma Thomas put into this song, but it sounds like the epitome of love. She sings about endless love and the beauty of devotion. It has a dreamy sound, with the slow tempo and background vocalists. You might just have to listen to this one to get what I am trying to say. 

1. Home – Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros 

This is a classic. This song is the epitome of pure joy. It has so much character and energy, and literally just sounds like it’s overflowing with love. It has a sound like these two people are celebrating their love. It captures the idea that people and the way they make you feel can be more of a home rather than a physical house. (Also, the fact that these two people were this in love and could sing this song and then break up floors me)

1. Don’t Go Breaking My Heart – Elton John, Kiki Dee

Maybe it’s from the closing scene in Ella Enchanted when Anne Hathaway dances with Hugh Dancy that is giving me a bias on this one, but this song is just so much fun. Like quite frankly, I really just want to dance to this song in general, but if I could do this at my wedding it would just elevate it. 

1. Chapel of Love – The Dixie Cups

This song should actually be first on this list. I love this song. I grew up with my grandparents singing this around the house, and then later, as my cousin was getting ready for her wedding. The fact that this song is literally about a wedding should be enough to convince anyone that it’s a requirement at a wedding and should be played from the beginning to the end of the day. 

1. Can’t Take my Eyes off You – Frankie Valli

Once again, another classic love song. And like #3, maybe I am biased because of how one of my favorite movies, 10 Things I Hate About You uses this song, but I believe this song is an absolute requirement at any wedding.

1. Into the Mystic – Van Morrison 

I love finding out people’s first dance songs and it always makes me consider them for my nonexistent wedding. This one, according to my mother, is their real first dance song, and that the random song they had did not count. Therefore, because this was sort of, kind of, not really my parents first dance song, it will always hold a special place in my heart. 

Meg McGahan

Denison '26

Meg McGahan is a freshman at Denison University, and is from Atlanta, Georgia. She is currently studying Biology, Anthropology, and Studio Art. In her free time she loves to draw, paint, read and bake. She also loves listening to music and hanging out with friends and has a dog named Clifford!