jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Simplified: Aromatherapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

If you’re new to aromatherapy… or maybe just aren’t very knowledgeable on the topic, aromatherapy is an alternative holistic treatment to better your physical and emotional health. Simply, it’s a treatment that uses the aromas from concentrated essential oils derived from ingredients found naturally in the environment. Some common ingredients include lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus; all found to contain numerous health benefits.

If you’re a skeptic…historically, aromatherapy has been used in Persia since the 10th century, as well as many other historically ancient cultures in China, India, and Egypt. Through the decades, medics around the world began using essential oils to treat severe illnesses as they were versatile and natural.

Aromatherapy functions through our sense of smell and our skin absorption of the concentrated natural oils. There are numerous methods to utilize essential oils! A straightforward option is spot treatment by applying the oil of your choice to sensitive areas such as the crown of your head, wrists, temples, and behind your ears. 

Alternative methods include using an essential oil diffuser to release essential oils into the room through water vapor. Often, this may be a less concentrated and more gradual method to aromatherapy. Diffusers are available pretty much everywhere, especially online, and there’s definitely a style out there suited to you. With over hundreds of different essential oil scents, there are ample options for finding scents that are comforting or beneficial to you. For some general info on some of the most common essential oils, consult the chart below for ideas!

Nicole Zeid

Denison '22

Hey there! I'm a compassionate positivity advocate from Columbus, Ohio, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Biology and minoring in Anthropology Sociology at Denison University. I’m lover of music, the great outdoors, and traveling! I live by the ideas of giving more than what you take, and doing more of what makes you happy.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.