This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

The Good:

• Disenchantment-Netflix

Over the years, I’ve been skeptical about animated adult TV shows. They’re just things that have always bugged me. But something made me open my heart to them within the last couple of months. That something was a show called Disenchantment. Disenchantment is an animated comedy that started in 2018, and it’s by the same creator of the television series The Simpsons. I’ll be honest, I’ve never watched his other shows, but after Disenchantment, I might! This show is basically about a princess, an elf, and a demon going on these unnecessarily dangerous adventures, and it’s great. There are a lot of underlying feminist ideals and jokes presented in the show, which is a plus! I think everyone should give it a try, but of course, it might not be for everyone.

And leading to the other good show, I was curious to see who spoke for the Princess in Disenchantment, and it’s Abbi Jacobson from Broad City!

• Broad City-Hulu

Okay, I know I’m late to watching Broad City. I’m upset about it too. I’m just so happy I’ve discovered it. I remember seeing commercials for it when I was in middle school and high school, but I was never curious enough to watch it. Here I am now in college, cracking up in my dorm room during my study breaks now. This show is quite honestly, the funniest show I’ve watched in a while. It, again, has a lot of feminist ideals about being independent, friendship between women, and a lot more. But that’s not all the show is about. Everyone seriously needs to watch it, if you already haven’t. It started airing on Comedy Central in 2014 (told you I was late…), and there are four seasons. It’s about the lives of Abbi and Ilana living in New York and just doing them. If you don’t have Hulu, just mooch off anyone that has it to watch Broad City. It’s totally worth it.

The Bad:

• You-Netflix

Let me start by saying, this show is one of the worst shows to ever exist. I’ve watched it, but the only reason I’ve watched it, is because it’s so terrible. I, unfortunately, couldn’t peel my eyes away. The story is beyond farfetched and the characters are a little annoying. I understand I might be one of the only people to genuinely think this isn’t a cinematic masterpiece, but it’s just something that wasn’t for me. I’m not a film critic, so if you loved You for all that it was, that’s totally okay! But others that haven’t watched it yet: do your homework instead. I sat for hours watching this show, which I hate to admit. Just don’t put yourself through this stalker ridden series. 

• The Society-Netflix

I know it’s impossible to say this but remember when I said that You was one of the worst shows to exist? The Society is the worst show to ever exist. I haven’t even finished the series because it’s unbearable at times. The toxic masculinity combined with the over-acting of the jocks in the show is a lot to take in at once. It’s about a bunch of horny run-of-the-mill teens that are forced to live in a place that is their home but isn’t their home. Think of it like a parallel universe where their parents don’t exist anymore, and it’s just them. At the point where I am in the show, you feel as if it’s supposed to be a science fiction movie, given they’re in a different place, with no explanation. But it feels more like a drama. It came out in 2019, and there’s only one season, but for me it’s been tough to get through. Watch at your own discretion. These shows, good and bad, are worth giving a try. You can get a taste for some amazing humor with Broad City or see a bunch of teenagers trying to create a civilized society on their own in The Society. Either way, it’s a win-win.

Olivia Mize

Denison '22

Hello! I’m Olivia, a student at Denison University, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. I'm majoring in Anthropology & Sociology with a Studio Art minor. I enjoy watching movies, painting, and drawing.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.