She’s a Lady: Current Trends at Denison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Written by: Caroline McCauley 

“She’s got style. She’s got grace. She’s a winner. She’s a Lady.” These lyrics from Tom Jone’s song “She’s a Lady” best describe the female students at Denison. Despite crazy schedules with upcoming essays, club meetings and campus events, the female population is looking quite put-together and immaculate. Maxi, a-line and wrap dresses monopolized the classrooms this week. That’s right women on college campuses are not only looking glamorous at twilight for nighttime rendezvouses. Taking pride in themselves, these elegant ladies put on their classiest pieces to just attend class. These women bring life and beauty to an otherwise dull classroom setting with their chic style. The grungy, hung-over look is no longer acceptable. Pajama pants and t-shirts are being replaced with silk blouses, kitten-toed heels and graphic-print dresses.  Cotton maxis, iridescent wraps, safari-inspired print dresses, and minimalistic ankle-length dresses of taupe, black and white are among the most popular items.

There are plenty examples of the lady-like elegance that is dominating the campus. Take for example, Holly Davis ’17 in a lovely silk flowered-print blouse or Tempestt Williams ’15 who is rocking a sheer sea-green blouse with a classic black skirt.

Then there is the Freda Okundaye ’14 who is the epitome of a lady in a timeless diaphanous white dress. Okundaye’s outfit is a throwback to a Greek Goddess dress that is full of pleats and skillful drapery.  

Alexis Franklin embodies sophistication in her minimalistic, below-the-knee dress with black kitten-heels and pearls.

Other outfits that were spotted include a pleated skater-dress embellished with gold, pink and leopard-print designs. Women’s fashion during the first weeks of the semester has definitely set high-standards for the rest of the year.

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.