This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

There’s no question that people are starting to become more interested in environmentalism. We want to produce less waste, reuse would-be trash, and overall reduce our carbon footprint. With that in mind, a lot of environmental initiatives seem new and innovative. However, something from the 1950s and 1960s is resurfacing in hopes of helping the environment- the milkman.

theheartysoul reports that younger generations are increasingly getting their milk from local dairy farms who deliver the milk in glass bottles just like back in the day. Milk&More and Parker Dairies, both based in London, UK, have seen an astounding increase in demand for this glass bottle delivery service. It combines the desirable farm-to-table freshness, sustainability, and convenience that millenials want.

To get an idea of the numbers in which people are flocking to dairy farms, listen to Parker Dairies’s Manager Paul Lough. Lough estimates that in under a year, the company got 382 new customers, 95% of whom requested the glass bottle service. He says: 

“People are much more environmentally conscious and so they are asking if we do glass.”

Getting your milk delivered in a glass bottle is not exactly cheap, but people are often willing to spend a little bit more than usual if it will help the planet. It was noted, however, that most of the customers are young, two-income families who have the means to pay for such a service. Each customer is able to reuse a glass bottle 25 times before it is recycled into a new bottle, so it’s effective in reducing waste.

With this new surge of environmental conscientiousness, the iconic milkman is making a comeback. With his pure white uniform and a crate full of milk, he can become an essential part of a sustainable community. Plus, everything just tastes better coming from a cold glass bottle.

Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.