This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Although the hit sitcom ended years before I was born, Seinfeld has found a place in my heart. Whenever I’m procrastinating doing actual work, I turn to the neurotic antics of the equally unstable characters to keep me entertained. Jerry, George, and Kramer are hilarious disasters but Ms. Elaine Benes can certainly hold her own around these guys. Not only can she roll with the punches, but she oozes confidence and wit as she lives, loves, and works in 1990s Manhattan. As I take a break between episodes, I want to look back on some of her best qualities.

Intelligence

In a show filled with humor and insanity, we can always rely on Elaine to provide us with some intellectual stimulation. After all, she did hold many prestigious positions in major publishing companies all throughout the show. One of her finest moments comes when she first meets esteemed Russian writer Yuri Testikov and shares with him a little known fact about Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace. She dishes out the information that Tolstoy was originally going to title his famous work “War, What Is It Good For?” and adds her own insight: “absolutely nothing!” (S5:E4)

Poise

Even though she is surrounded by some pretty nutty friends, Elaine manages to maintain her grace and dignity. In fact, while she was in Florida with Jerry, Elaine attends a party in celebration of Mr. Seinfeld. She might’ve been high as a kite on pills to help her miserable back pain, but she was the essence of beauty and poise.

(S3:E3)

Political Accuracy

When one of Elaine’s male companions refers to them as an interracial couple, she sets off to find out if he is an African American man. Instead of asking him directly, because that would be a social faux pas, she drops hints at his possible race. After finding out that both of them are actually white, they decide to go to The Gap, something that white people enjoy doing together. Props to Elaine for being concerned about her political correctness.

(S9:E15)

Love

While relaxing for a few days at a friend’s beach house in the Hamptons, viewers are able to see Elaine’s maternal instincts truly shine. Her love and compassion are in full force when she sees her friend’s baby boy for the first time and utters some kind of noise that emanates from her heart, I’m sure. It is obvious that Elaine has an immense amount of love for the overwhelming beauty of a newborn child.

(S5:E20)

Responsibility

There are many responsibilities that one must deal with in order to be an adult. On top of her pre-existing responsibilities, Elaine opts to host her friend John Paul when he is in town for the New York City Marathon. After missing the podium at the Olympics due to a muted alarm clock, John Paul is adamant about getting to the race on time. Elaine, feeling the pressure at work, stays in the office later than usual, loses John Paul, and sets off a series of events that leads to him barely getting to the race in time. Elaine is clearly very reliable.

(S7:E5)

Allure

There are no words to describe the natural beauty of Ms. Elaine Benes, so I will leave you with this:

(S8:E4)

Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.
Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.