Life > Academics

Overcoming Writers Block in Four Steps (or at least trying)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.
  1. Writing Prompts
    • At first, writing prompts may sound childish for those who are serious about writing. But I’d argue that one of the best writing exercises comes from unexpected prompts. There are endless amounts of writing prompts online or in writing craft books that can help you start the process when you are at a standstill. There are even prompts that are individualized based on your writing specialty like poetry, fiction, nonfiction, supernatural, etc. Or even better, ask a friend or family member to come up with a prompt for you! Then it could be more personalized and creative. Even if you do not end up utilizing the writing that comes from a prompt, it is a great way to warm up your brain to do some writing you can use! 
  2. Turn Off Your Dang Wifi
    • It is unbelievably easier to stare at your inbox, Twitter feed, or really anything else than that dreaded empty document. And even though it doesn’t feel like you are procrastinating when your brain is empty- you are. Try turning off your wifi or, better yet, write in a notebook. Force yourself to write words! Even if they are meaningless! Without consistent distractions from all around, who knows what will come up?
  3. Read!
    • I was once told that the best writers are readers. In order to be a successful writer, it is important to learn how other writing was successful or not successful. It is important for writers to put themselves in the perspective of the reader in order to understand what works and what doesn’t. And hey, this may lead to some inspiration! Art inspires art, so don’t be afraid to put your own spin on methods or ideas you’ve read and want to try out for yourself! 
  4. Take a Break
    • Seriously, you deserve it. If you’re staring at your computer screen all day, it’s going to be increasingly difficult for inspiration to strike. Try to go for a walk, hang out with friends, or just zone out! Even if a big epiphany doesn’t come to you, it’s okay because we all need breaks!
Hi! My name is Nicole and I am a junior at Denison! I am majoring in English Creative Writing, minoring in Communication, with a concentration in Narrative Journalism. Along with writing, I love documentaries, being outside, thrifting, and crafting!