This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Niche Etiquette Episode 3: MEMES. (Kate Voigt)

This feels like a more obscure topic in terms of etiquette. However, with the advancement of technology, the way we communicate is advancing as well. As the internet continues to stumble blindly towards connecting the entire world, so should those who use it regularly. Today, I will be teaching you all about Memes—what they are, why they are, and what they mean.

Internet Meme (Noun): an image or video on the internet that displays some sort of opinion or idea that is shared often.

1. Radio Station/Wine Mom style

If you aren’t wired in to Facebook like me, you may have to think back a while for what these were. These were the ones that your local Radio Station or your favorite Aunt would post onto their walls. Nobody really knows why they are the way they are, but they cannot be destroyed, no matter how much data is breached.  

One examples is:

This meme specifically comes with the aesthetic of frequent soccer practices and mini-van repairs.

1. Public Agreement memes.

These are called as such because the entirety of internet culture (i.e. the millennials y’all love complaining about) agree that these are funny.

Two examples are:

I have no idea why we all decided that these things are funny, but that’s the way of the world.

1. Vaporwave Memes:

These are a series of images that come from a certain aesthetic. If the nineties had a way to vomit, this would be the method to achieve that aesthetic.

One example is:

I don’t understand what they are. To my meme-expert friends, they cite connections to “Vape Culture.” So… Smoke and Mirrors, I guess.

1. Surreal Memes:

I don’t quite know how to categorize these memes, but judging by the name, nobody should be able to.

One example is:

Yeah. I don’t know how to address these. They exist and if we disturb them I’m worried about wrecking the time-space continuum by messing with them.

1. “Alt-Right Memes.”

NOPE. NO. I cannot post these without losing my job. However, if we do not acknowledge them, we cannot get rid of them.

To conclude, the internet is a strange place, and I hope that these can help you navigate through the digital maze that we face daily.

My name is Katherine (Kate) Voigt. I'm a Theatre major with a Creative Writing minor at Denison University. I've always had a passion for writing and increasing the amount of women in the world of online creating. Feel free to ask me any questions you have!