This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Grabbing a coffee has historically been a way in which many humans socialize as well as begin their days. The tradition of having a coffee with friends and family remains among many throughout the globe. I mean, who doesn’t enjoy the rich flavors of coffee in the presence of your favorite people? 

Although having coffee continues to be a symbol of socializing, the preparation of coffee ranges in dozens of fancy different ways within different countries and regions. Here are some of the amazing ways in which humans have learned to create coffee. 

Italy: 

As most people are familiar with, Italians have perfected the espresso. An espresso is a traditional Italian coffee served in a small cup in the morning, afternoon, and sometimes after dinner. Espresso is made in a machine where pressurized steam is sent through the ground coffee. Espresso is usually served with a little bit of sugar, or it is just taken as a shot. 

Mexico: 

Café de olla is a type of coffee served throughout the day in Mexico. Traditionally it is brewed in earthenware pots that are filled with cinnamon sticks. The cinnamon adds a fiery taste to this coffee, and it is typically served in beautiful clay mugs.

Turkey: 

Unlike the first two, Turk Kahvesi, a Turkish coffee is served for a dessert rather than a day time drink. This coffee is made from finely ground unfiltered coffee beans. Before the coffee comes to a boil in cezves, or a brass pot, sugar is mixed into the beans to create a sweet taste. 

Priscilla Du Preez
Priscilla Du Preez / Unsplash

Ethiopia: 

Coffee is known to come from Ethiopia, and the making of coffee continues to be cerimonial. These coffee ceremonies typically last a couple of hours, a few times a day. Ethiopian coffee, or buna, is created with beans that are roasted and brewed in a clay pot called a jebena. During the coffee ceremonies, the woman of the house pours the coffee into the cups, and it is traditionally flavored with  butter and salt. 

Hong Kong: 

Yuanyang coffee is very popular among people in Hong Kong. This coffee is a mixture of milk tea, or black tea, and coffee. This coffee is often referred to as “coffee with tea” and it is made throughout the day.

Hi! My name is Gabriella Longo and I am from Cleveland Ohio. I am a sophomore at Denison University, and I am interested in majoring in Psychology with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies, and a Queer studies concentration. I have a strong passion for social justice, I enjoy photography, and I am a fencer at Denison. I joined Her Campus for the opportunity to share my writing as well as enjoy the writing of other amazing female writers. I hope you enjoy!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.