Keeping the “Hook up Culture” Safe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock throughout your Denison education, you’ve probably noticed that the lovely men and women of the Denison community are…on the prowl.  Based on our small-scale, tight knit population, most students tend to steer clear of commitment and relationships.  Instead what has developed is a prominent and clearly visible hookup culture on campus.  From anonymous posts on yik-yak about individuals seeking booty calls and cuddle buddies to the @DenisonMakeouts twitter feed exploiting last night’s sex-capades, hookups have become a huge part of our everyday conversations and endeavors.  While we are in the peak of our adolescent years, hormones are raging and “everyone is doing it”, it is important to still think through our decisions and make sure that we are keeping this campus safe (while still maintaining the fun).

On Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights your judgment becomes impaired, you’re getting your dance on at a party, and seeking someone to take home (sound familiar?).  Before inviting someone to come back with you or even before you start drinking that night, make sure you set sober limits of what you may be comfortable doing that night.  Once you start drinking, you lose the legal ability to grant consent.  Don’t ever let someone try to push your established limits and it is always ok to change your mind about the limits you previously set and stand up for yourself when you do.  Your definitive yes-s and no-s should be heard and respected.  And just for clarity, your outfit NEVER means yes. 

If you do find yourself in a sketchy, non-consensual interaction, there are many resources on campus to help you through the situation.  The first thing to know is that it was not your fault.  SHARE advocates and Denison University counsellors are just a phone call or an appointment away and serve as a confidential source to tell your story and get any kind of mental or emotional support that you need.

Be Safe and Have Fun

I'm a double major in Chemistry and Environmental Studies at Denison University. I'm currently the Philanthropy Assistant for the Delta Chi chapter of Delta Delta Delta, work in the ENVS department and volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters.
I'm a sophomore at Denison University from Boca Raton, Florida. I'm a psychology major and when I'm not studying, you can find me walking around campus trying to figure out what to do with this freezing Ohio weather, playing tennis with friends, or just looking for someone fun to talk to!