This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I vividly remember signing up for formal recruitment after weeks of consideration. Even though neither of my parents had been involved in Greek life and were hesitant to give me their blessing, I figured I had nothing to lose (except the T-shirt deposit) and everything to gain. I thought that, at the very least, even if I didn’t join a house, I would meet a ton of new people and get a free tour of each house.

To make this long story short, I’ll just spoil the ending: I found a home in Denison’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma. It sounds so cliche, but to anyone who may be reading this for advice just know that when you ask people how they chose their house and they say it was “just a feeling,” they aren’t lying or being secretive or anything of the sort. It’s the truth. You just get a feeling that you’re in the right place. Even my first semester, when I wasn’t extremely close with anyone in the chapter, I felt a very deep sense of community and belonging.

Fast forward to now, halfway through sophomore year, and I can genuinely say that joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I ever made. It helped me find some of the closest friends I’ll ever have, as well as strengthened my bond with my unaffiliated friends. It also gave me the opportunity to partake in more social events on-campus, and gain confidence in myself and grow as both a person and a leader within the chapter. Being in a sorority has also given me invaluable networking opportunities with alumni, incredible scholarship opportunities, a sense of community within the chapter and within the wider Panhellenic community, as well as a chance to dress up every once in a while, which is one of my favorite things to do! 

All in all, I feel as though I’m not exaggerating even a little when I say that joining a sorority has changed my life, and it’s definitely been a positive change! Coming from a very small high school made Denison feel very isolating at first, but now I have a whole group of women that I can reach out to if I’m ever in need of support. While the recruitment process is over at Denison, I highly recommend that anyone and everyone reading this who is interested or has ever been even slightly interested in going Greek gives it a try. You never know what kind of home you could find!

Hello and welcome! My name is Zoe, I'm from Newark, OH, and I am a junior at Denison University. I'm an Educational Studies major and a Spanish minor. I'm also the treasurer for Denison's chapter of Her Campus, as well as a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma! I really love Taylor Swift, camping, writing, and going to concerts with my friends! Thanks for reading!