How to Get the Most Out of Your Planner

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As midterm season winds down, you may be thinking that you can go back to a regular schedule, but finals will creep up faster than you think. These are my best tips to getting the most out of your planner, so you can be prepared for everything and anything. Planners are all about trial and error, so find what is best to you, and get on planning your life!

1. Pick a planner that has the set up that makes the most sense for your life style.

As a student, I prefer a traditional horizontal layout, with lines, so I can write my classes and work down. Personally, my favorite planner is the Erin Condren horizontal layout, spiral bound planner. It has space for my classes, and little boxes for activities that I have that day. This way I can see everything all at once when I look at my day.

2. Include a to-do list.

I am a sucker for a good list pad, which I use to make myself a to-do list every day. I paper clip it to the opposite page in my planner, so I can look between the day that I am on, and what I have to do. This is really helpful on days when I have too much to do, and not enough space to write it all down in the little box. It is also great for mapping out your day, and making sure that you remember to do those small things, like email your advisor because course registration is like, tomorrow. I find the best list pads at Target in the dollar section, but anything can be used for this!

3. Keep your planner organized.

However you choose to put your planner together, try to follow a set way to do it. That way, you won’t be confused from week to week with how your planner is set up, especially if you use colors.

4. Keep your planner simple.

This is personal preference, but I am not a fan of all the crazy planner decorations that people do. The stickers, excessive use of colors, and all around craziness of some planners really stress me out. If that is your thing, totally do it, but the simpler and easier to read your planner is, the easier it will be to use.

5. Write everything down. 

I am very forgetful, so writing things down is one of the only ways that things are going to be accomplished. No task, event, or project is too small to write down. And the best way to get the most out of your planner is to use it constantly. Getting into the habit of using it is the best way to ensure that your life is as organized as possible.

A Junior at Denison who loves history, reading, and traveling a little too much