The Lalacheese Plate
The Lalacheese Plate
Her Campus Media

How to Create The Perfect Charcuterie Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

A charcuterie board is always a crowd favorite. Whether you’re hosting a party, watching a sports event on TV, or just having a few friends over for a girls night, it’s a yummy appetizer (or meal) for any fun event. There are a few staples that every board needs, while of course accommodating dietary restrictions:

• Cheese: A few crowd favorites are goat cheese, brie, provolone, cheddar, mozzarella, and gouda. Mozzarella can taste wonderful on tomatoes drizzled in balsamic vinaigrette. 

• Crackers and/or Bread: to spread the cheese/spreads on of course! There are all different kinds of crackers to choose from, but a variety pack is always a safe bet. Crackers are sometimes preferred to give some crunch, but bread can also be a fabulous contribution to the board. Some crowd pleasers are french baguettes, sourdough, and pumpernickel. 

• Meats: Salami, prosciutto (you can wrap it around cantaloupe for a sweet and salty treat!), sausage, and pepperoni. 

• Fruit: Grapes, berries, cantaloupe, and dried fruit are all tasty additions!

• Honey/Spreads: Honey drizzled on cheese gives the perfect taste in your mouth. Some additional favorites are fig spreads and jams. 

• Pickles: I personally like sweet pickles, but that’s a controversial topic. It’s another way to add crunch to your board as well as a variety of flavors. 

• Nuts: a variety of nuts is always nice, but my personal favorite kind of nuts for a board are walnuts.

• Chocolates: A little side of chocolate covered almonds or chocolate covered toffee adds a nice sugary element to the board.

• Something bubbly on the side: If you don’t drink, you might opt for something like sparkling apple cider. If you do, champagne or sparkling rose is a great choice!

If you’re looking for a way to be covid safe and still enjoy a charcuterie board with friends, you can make each person a personalized plate. This is also a great idea for people with allergies or different tastes in food. 

Charcuterie boards can lean on the expensive side, so if you are working on a budget, don’t worry! A simple board with a little bit of cheese, crackers, and meats can be yummy and satisfying. 

Get creative, have fun, and know that there’s no wrong way to make a charcuterie board, unless you have olives (just kidding! That’s another controversial topic.) It’s the perfect way to wind down, relax, and have meaningful or silly conversations with friends and family. 

Hi! I'm Chloe and I'm a sophomore at Denison University in Ohio. I grew up in Austin, Texas, and I love playing tennis, petting dogs, drinking iced chai, and reading poetry. I am so excited about this opportunity to share my writing!