Help! I Need a Summer Job…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

As the end of the school year fast approaches, you may glance at your bank account balance and become consumed with a combination of the following: shock, “ This cant be happening. I knew my summer tan would fade but never thought my summer haul would have run dry so fast!” confusion, “A chipotle Burrito only costs $7.49, how could they have accumulated so quickly?” and full on panic, ”Time to ration my snacks. One box of cracker is $3.50. Can I afford this? Yes. Then if I only eat 2 crackers a day it can last me until the end of the semester.” Though tightening your belt is never a bad idea, what we all need to focus on is finding a new summer job. This will ease our minds and give us hope for a time where we can afford to eat 4 crackers a day, or maybe even 5! This process can seem really overwhelming, especially as you get older and the pressure of getting an internship, or a “real job” really kicks in. For those of you that are struggling with where to start and how to be prepared for the upcoming summer, here are some helpful tips:

1. If you are interested in getting your old job back, contact previous employers ASAP. They may not be assuming that you want to return so hurry and let them know before they hire a newbie to take your place.

2. If you are looking an internship, DUlink is a great way to find job opportunities all over the country at companies that are looking to hire Denison students in particular! You can find this page from the Career and Development page on the Denison website.

3. Make a Linkedin profile. Linkedin is a great way to put your resume out there along with whatever information you choose to put on your profile. Once you make your profile you can connect with everyone you know from friends to family to past employers to potential future employers. It’s a system that is made to get people connected and employed, so there is no harm in at least trying it out!

4. Pick up applications for jobs at any place that may be of interest to you. The more applications you fill out, the better. Even if you don’t think it would be an absolutely ideal fit, there is no harm in applying for a job. Filling out applications will only give you more practice.

5. Once you have applied, BE PERSISTENT. You should not worry about being annoying. Most companies will admire your dedication to the potential work position. Do not expect that they will simply call you offering a job the day after you drop off the application. Most of the places you apply to will have dozens of other applicants, so calling them or stopping by to follow up will only set you apart from the masses.

Above all, don’t panic. You will end up with some sort of job if you put your mind to it. Though it may not be your dream job, it will be something to put on your resume and it will be a means of lifting you out of your end-of-school-year financial panic!

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.