Girls with Curls: How I Keep My Mane Tamed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

You’ve got gorgeous curls but you don’t know what to do with them? You’re at the right place. I’m going to let you in one some of my tips and tricks on how to maintain beautiful, frizz-free curls.

Washing:

Tips: Shampooing is great but curls need moisture. Shampoo every other day but use conditioner everyday to keep those curls moisturized.

Tricks: Before I get out of the shower, I like to put a dime-sized amount of conditioner on the ends of my hair and leave it in. This makes my hair soft and easy to comb through.

Brushing vs Combing

Tips: I usually brush my hair before I shower and comb it out after I shower. Brushing wet hair is generally not good anyways but it also pulls on your hair making your curls less bouncy.

Tricks: After showering, I use my fingers to comb through my hair and detangle. Then use a wide-toothed comb to comb out any tangles that are left. After, I scrunch my hair and get it all loosened up.

Styling:

Tips: Don’t play with your curls once they are dry, it causes your hair to frizz and curls to lose its perfect shape.

Tricks:

I never really part my hair, I usually let my hair naturally do what it wants as it air dries. Curls are best when they are naturally air-dried so don’t waste your time with blow dryers!

When I am using my curl boosting mousse, I scrunch it in. Do not rub it in!

Products

Herbal Essences Curl Boosting Mousse: This product is awesome for giving your curls that extra bounce. It doesn’t make your hair hard when it dries but leaves your hair soft and smelling good!

It’s a 10 Leave In Conditioner with Keratin is my favorite product. I can’t live without it. After I get out of the shower, I spray it in and then comb out my hair. It leaves my hair feeling soft and makes my hair shiny when it dries.

Cantu Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque is awesome. I use it once a week or once every other week just to keep my hair moisturized and healthy. This product is great for keeping split ends away, repairing damaged hair and helping hair grow long!

Biolage Deep Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner by Matrix is my go to product. The shampoo doesn’t dry your hair out and the conditioner leaves hair soft. 

Niyah is from Kansas City, Missouri and majors in Communication, minors in Women's studies. She plans to pursue a career in the Communication Media and Journalism field. Niyah is on the Women's Varsity basketball team at Denison and is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta. She is passionate about fashion and fitness and her hobbies include working out, writing for HerCampus, volunteering and reading good books!
Ellie is a member of the class of 2016 at Denison University.  She is an English major with an emphasis on Creative Writing and a Psychology minor.  From a suburb of Detroit called Beverly Hills, Ellie loves coffee, chocolate, J.Crew, and spends too much time on Buzzfeed.  Along with writing for Her Campus, Ellie is also a member of Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity at Denison. When she's not writing for class or Her Campus, you can find her re-watching The Hills episodes.