The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media

Gaps in the U.S Education System

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

The United States Education System has a deeply rooted history of painting over and sugar-coating the racist history inflicted on Indigenous people and Black people. This white-washing of history disregards the historical horror that these Black and Indigenous communities faced in America and misinforms children, causing them to think that racism is an issue of the past fixed by the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s. It does not acknowledge the structures leftover and newly formed structures that exist today, and the role we have in dismantling them. 

I am not suggesting that we need to completely terrorize primary school students with disturbing images and stories of America’s horrific historical events, but there is a need for accountability. Proper and accurate groundwork needs to be laid in order for students to be active agents in current and future societal change and understand how slavery shaped Americans’ beliefs about race and whiteness. The Southern Poverty Law Center has created a project known as Teaching Tolerance, which introduces a framework to teach slavery to primary school students. This project’s mission is “to help teachers and schools educate children and youth to be active participants in a diverse democracy” and is a free resource to educators. https://www.tolerance.org/frameworks/teaching-hard-history/american-slavery 

This education gap often leaves many non-black students to graduate high school, ignorant of the shifting structured barriers that their Black counterparts face in the world. And while many Universities offer courses that address issues such as white supremacy, implicit bias and health disparities in Black and Indigenous communities in America, many students don’t choose to take these courses because they do not think they align with their major. They also may not have the time in their schedule. 

man behind a black lives matter sign
Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels
While Denison requires courses in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, it is not difficult to choose classes that do not address the gaps in education that many high schools left in American history. There should be a requirement for Denison students to take a Black Studies Course or African-American History course that directly addresses these disparities. This idea further fits with the mission statement of Denison: “Our purpose is to inspire and educate our students to become autonomous thinkers, discerning moral agents and active citizens of a democratic society.” However, it is essential to recognize that we need to be active agents in a diverse (and historically unjust) democratic society, as the mission statement of Teaching Tolerance stated. You need to learn history in order to not repeat history and with the power in which higher education holds, it is a further perpetuation of history to not be a leading example of proactive education.

Olivia Ewing

Denison '22

Welcome! I'm an Anthropology/Sociology and Black Studies double major from Atlanta, Georgia. I love listening to music, reading and relaxing in my down time. I'm passionate about social activism and spreading love & positivity. My articles should reflect that :)
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.