This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

With the most romantic day of the year just around the corner, it’s important to shed light on the best day of the year, Galentine’s Day. Whether single or cuffed, Galentine’s Day is a day for everybody to celebrate. It’s easy to get caught up in the craziness of V-Day, and the pressures to have a significant other, and Galentine’s Day is the perfect holiday for people who still want to share in the festivities, but might not have a special someone to celebrate with. 

Unlike Valentine’s Day, which was created by card companies to make more money, Galentine’s Day was created by Park and Rec’s one and only Leslie Knope. In the episode titled “Galentine’s Day” (season 2 episode 16), Leslie describes the holiday as a day for “ladies celebrating ladies.” Leslie uses the day to shower her friends with love and celebrate what it means to be a woman. As soon as the episode aired, Galentine’s Day started to be recognized by more and more people as a true holiday. 

I am a firm believer that female friendships are not celebrated nearly enough. I adore my gal pals, and I think it needs to be normalized to show your platonic friends some more love. The women that I surround myself with have seen me at my absolute worst, and they will always be there to help me build myself back up again. I have found that social media has helped in recognizing the importance of female friendships. Although it might just be my specially curated Tik Tok for you page, I have seen tons of videos of people sharing how they celebrate Galentine’s Day (which makes me really happy).

One way I like to celebrate Galentine’s Day is by creating a collage of all of the pictures of me and my girlfriends from the previous year. I usually slap it up on my instagram story to show everyone some love, and it’s also a great way for me to see how long my friends have been there for me. A lot of my friends have been in every collage for as long as I can remember, and it’s so special to see how far we’ve come. I also use Galentine’s Day as an excuse to wear every single pink item of clothing I own, which is an absurd amount of clothing. I also am a sucker for anything with hearts on it. That being said, February is not a great month for my bank account.  

Since Galentine’s Day is a relatively new holiday (only ten years old), there is no proper way to celebrate it. The beauty is that you can do absolutely anything to show your friends some love. And just because you celebrate Valentine’s Day does not mean that you can’t celebrate Galentine’s Day. Anybody is welcome to celebrate, it would be unfair to exclude anybody from celebrating the best holiday of the year.

Reilly Burton

Denison '26

Reilly is a sophomore at Denison University studying communication and international studies. She is the social media/outreach coordinator for Her Campus Denison and is involved with various other organizations on campus. She loves to be creative, ski, read, and hang out with the people she loves.