This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Galentine’s Day takes place the day every year the day before valentine’s day, on February 13th. It is a holiday created by the amazing Leslie Knope of Parks and Recreation. Still confused? Maybe this will help. In the words of Leslie Knope herself, 

“Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. It’s like Lilith Fair, minus the angst. Plus frittatas.” 

I mean, what’s better than that? Basically Galentine’s Day is a day to spend time with your best girlfriends and celebrate the appreciation and love you have for one another. Let’s be honest bestfriends are the true soulmates so why not dedicate a day to them also. 

So on February 13th, gather your best girlfriends together and celebrate. You could get brunch, catch a movie, throw a party, take a trip, or just hang out at home. Either way, here’s some song inspiration for your Galentine’s Day prep. This day is all about “ladies celebrating ladies” so why not jam to some songs all about female empowerment. 

1. Run the World (Girls) by Beyonce

1. Because duh, we run this world

2. Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys

1. This song is all about a girl rising up over all that life has thrown at her

3. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper

1. The song title speaks for itself

4. Scars to Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara

1. A song about loving yourself just the way you are and accepting your body for how it was designed. It specifically talks about a girl who starves herself because she wants to look like a “cover girl” and telling her that she doesn’t need to do that because she is already beautiful. 

5. Wannabe by Spice Girls

1. All about how relationships between friends are more important than relationships between significant others. 

6. Respect by Aretha Franklin

1. A woman demanding respect from her husband

7. Pretty Hurts by Beyonce

1. A self-empowerment anthem

8. Born This Way by Lady Gaga

1. A song about being unapologetically you

Maria Kennedy

Denison '22

Hi! My name is Maria and I am from Boston, Massachusetts. I am a sophomore at Denison University majoring in Environmental Studies with a concentration in Ecosystem Conservation. I enjoy being outside, reading, and baking. I am very excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!