This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I enjoy music. Even more so, I enjoy finding music that makes me feel something: happy, alive, free. Music sends you on a journey and each person’s journey is perfectly unique. Music taste is something so personal and that’s what I love so much about it. I think my music taste reflects my love of nature and longing for adventure.  Here are five of my favorite folk rock songs that will make you dream of flower fields, sunshine, and pure happiness. 

1. The Long Road by The Strumbellas

This is a hidden gem of a song that I feel so fortunate to have stumbled across. “The Long Road” is the definition of folk rock music with its unique acoustics, nature-themed lyrics and lilting melody. The bridge of this song sends me on a journey through a hidden valley, I cannot even express in words how much joy this song brings me. 

2. Cleopatra by The Lumineers

The Lumineers has and will always be one of my favorite bands. With their beautiful melodies and meaningful lyrics, it’s hard not to love this band. Their album Cleopatra especially has a special place in my heart. Though “Ophelia” is the prized song of the album, there are many other amazing songs in the album. The song “Cleopatra” has a unique 

3. Wait So Long by Trampled by Turtles

I’ve learned in recent years that I’m a sucker for a good fiddle solo. A bit more chaotic and quick-paced than other folk rock songs, “Wait So Long” makes me think of a brightly colored Volkswagen van zooming through the countryside. I’m particularly biased towards the band since they’re from Duluth, Minnesota, which is a couple hours away from where I live. 

4. Fool For Love by Lord Huron

Lord Huron has written some of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever listened to. “Fool For Love” is a sweet, eager love song. It’s more upbeat compared to some of the band’s other songs, such as “The Night We Met” and “Ends of the Earth.” 

5. 40 Day Dream by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

If you like the song “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, definitely check out the band’s other songs. After listening to “40 Day Dream,” you’ll be surprised to learn that the album was released in 2009 and not 1969. This song sends you back to the peak of hippie culture. 

Fiona Schultz

Denison '23

Fiona is a senior at Denison University who works as the Senior Editor and Co-Chapter Coordinator for the Denison Chapter of Her Campus. She is from Minneapolis, Minnesota and is pursuing a History major as well as two minors in Political Science and Environmental Studies. Her favorite pastimes include reading mystery novels, making curated playlists, and catching up on politics.