sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Eco Friendly Swaps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.
  1. Bamboo Toothbrush

Over 1 billion plastic toothbrushes end up in landfills in the United States each year. Why contribute to that problem when you could use a bamboo toothbrush that is biodegradable and will decompose back into the natural environment. A bamboo toothbrush can do everything a plastic toothbrush can do except that when you’re done with it, it can go in the compost whereas plastic toothbrushes go to the landfill. I bought my bamboo toothbrush off Amazon.com and there are plenty of sellers there. Mine also came with a bamboo travel case which is really convenient for when I’m traveling as well as everyday storage. There is also a website called EarthHero that sells all sorts of eco-friendly products and sends them in 100% compostable packaging. They work really hard to minimize their carbon emissions as much as possible and make their products affordable. 

2. Safety Razor

This swap is for anyone who wants to make their shower routine a little more eco-friendly. The idea of using a safety razor may sound scary but I promise you it’s really not. I honestly find that I get a better shave using my safety razor compared to a disposable one, and that I also stopped getting those annoying little red bumps that would show up after every time I shaved. Safety razors and their blades are made of stainless steel which is 100% recyclable and by using one you can help stop contributing to the problem of over 2 billion disposable razors that end up in landfills each year. Most of the razors I’ve seen come with a couple blades but you can also order a variety pack separately. This way you can find a brand that works best for you. An even more eco-friendly option would be to not shave at all, but not everyone feels comfortable doing that. I personally haven’t gotten there yet and so in the meantime I use my safety razor and I love it!

3. Travel Mug/Tumbler

This one can sometimes seem like a hassle because it’s just one more thing to remember and carry around with you, but think about how many plastic and styrofoam cups you will be saving from ending up in the landfill. You can find one’s with cute designs and in many different sizes. And a lot of places offer discounts off drinks if you bring your own cup. Basically, buying a travel mug saves you money AND it saves the environment. 

4. Reusable Utensils

This is especially for anyone who tends to eat out alot, but really it can come in handy for everyone. A reusable utensil set is perfect for when your on-the-go and need to stop somewhere to eat but don’t want to use plastic utensils. There are even sets that come with straws if you want one of those also. Bamboo is a popular material for these but there are also stainless steel and wood options available. The sets usually come in a cloth wrapping that can have cute, funky, or plain patterns on it. There are really cute options available on Etsy as well as Amazon and EarthHero. Those are just the places I know have them, but I am sure you can find them in other places as well. Think about all the plastic utensils you would no longer be using. 

Maria Kennedy

Denison '22

Hi! My name is Maria and I am from Boston, Massachusetts. I am a sophomore at Denison University majoring in Environmental Studies with a concentration in Ecosystem Conservation. I enjoy being outside, reading, and baking. I am very excited to be a part of the Her Campus community!